by fred812 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

VW Carnet / Mobile Hotspot

I'm having problems with VW Carnet. My phones pair with the car ok but Carnet says that there is no data connection available. This has been tried with the phones showing 4G and a reasonable signal on two Android devices (Sony Xperia and a Samsung Galaxy S7) and an iPhone 6s. Friend tried it with O2 and it worked. All devices were fully up to date.

Could there be anything about the way that EE are delivering mobile data that could be upsetting Carnet?

Any thoughts appreciated.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Established Contributor
Solution

Re: VW Carnet / Mobile Hotspot

Tested 4 times today and worked everytime by locking the phone to 3G as you requested. Bit of a wobbly on one occasion but I accept that mobile networking can be like that.

I can work with this but happy to help if you want me to do any further testing.

Thanks for all your help.

60 REPLIES 60
by
EE Employee

Hi @fred812 and welcome to the community.

Are you connecting the devices wirelessly or are you using the USB?

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Wirelessly. The phones are setup as a Mobile Hotspot on the Android and Personal Hotspot on IOS. I'm familiar with how this works and have no problem connecting my TomTom to the internet on the same devices.

Carnet is basically a system which gives you access to the internet via the car infotainment system.

Thanks for replying.

Established Contributor

This is going to be caused by the way that that EE do their mobile networking - Carrier-Grade NAT (CGNAT) - isn't it!!?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@fred812  Are you saying your the only user of carnet who happens to be a EE customer? .   

Established Contributor

A fair point, but are all EE mobile services delivered to customers in the same way, ie pay as you go, contract etc, are there regional variations, are all carnet devices at the same level of firmware/software,  do all VW customers bother with carnet, if it doesn't work do they consider that it could be ISP related or think its a device fault?

VW technicians have crawled all over it and when they tested with their own phones one with EE failed, the other with O2 worked. My (EE) phone worked when connected for the first time but hasn't since. It worked in a loan car the first time but I didn't have a chance to do the "next day" test because it went back.

So lots of variables but I think there could be something in the CGNAT theory.

Thanks for replying.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@fred812 wrote:

This is going to be caused by the way that that EE do their mobile networking - Carrier-Grade NAT (CGNAT) - isn't it!!?

No, not unless someone outside is trying to access your Carnet unsolicited. Carnet is just a outgoing system, isn't it? It's running no servers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Don't confuse VW Carnet with a similar technology of the same name that appears in Google searches.

I may be wrong but VW Carnet is a comination of a cloud based and a car based system.

1. The cloud system and can be accessed via a mobile app on a phone / tablet or via a browser on a PC / laptop. Amongst other things you can create Satnav destinations and routes that the car based system downloads when connected to the internet.

It isn't this that I'm having a problem with, its the car based system.

2. The car based system uses the mobile hotspot on your phone. The car connects to the phone via a WLAN configured on the car system and that seems to work ok. Trying to run Carnet on the car system then says there is "no data connection available". I can't recall the exact process but the car system did need to be activated via a code given from the clound system. it did work - once, the first (and last) time

I may be wrong and its nothing to do with how EE do their mobile networking delivery but I could do with some help with troubleshooting because I'm getting nowhere.

Thanks.

F

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I don't! Cuz it's actually called "Car-Net".

It looks like the car based system is "phoning-home" to VW regularly (the cloud based system), so it is not affected by the issue of EE's mobile network CGNAT.

Your issue is separate. You don't even have a connection to the Net from your car's Car-Net.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@fred812  What device ( phone ) are you using to connect with ?  Is this a EE device?    And I take it you have no issues with cellular data on this device ?  ( Using apps with cellular data ) 

Established Contributor

All the following are with our EE contract SIM's.

Sony Experia XA

Samsung Galaxy S7

iPhone 6s

Car-Net on the car says "no data connection available".

As far as i'm aware my Apps that use cellular data all work ok.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@fred812  Just to check on the iPhone can you go to Settings>General> scroll down and do you see a tab that says PROFILE ? 

Established Contributor

No PROFILE tab.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@fred812  That rules that out then.   

Can you try horspoting one of the other phones/laptop/tablet to the iPhone.   

Need to check to make sure that the hotspot is working as it should.  

Established Contributor

The iPhone is my wife's, the Sony and Samsung are mine and have on occasions been used as a hotspot for my tablet and TomTom and work fine.

My suspicion that EE could be implicated in the Car-Net "no data connection available" problem is that two phones at the dealership, one afer the other, one EE and one O2 failed and worked, in that order and there are other threads on the net that implicate EE and CGNAT. Also Car-Net had to be activated with a code from the cloud service so I'm wondering if the way that NAT works prevents something working.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

How do you apply for this code? How do you receive it? When you receive it where & how do you apply it?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@fred812  As I said your not going to be the only EE customer who uses this system.  And it’s only a hotspot that the car links to on the device.   

Can you try using a USB cable ? And are you trying to connect via Wi-Fi to use the hotspot connection or are you using Bluetooth ?    There are a few ways to connect to a device to use the data connection of the device.  

Established Contributor

The code is presented by the cloud service and typed into the system on the car. Obviously the WLAN was working for that to happen. 

The hotspot is shared over WiFi not Bluetooth. I don't think there is a the capility to use the hotspot over usb but I'll check.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Presented to you where? Do you register an a/c on the VW website & apply for the code there. Then does it display the code to you there or send you a text or email with it in?

Established Contributor

Start at 2 minutes. My device is a bit later than this but process is the same.

https://youtu.be/AN7O8Jic67k

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.