Highlighted
by Philipriley17 Investigator
Investigator

Using my phone in China

I am traveling to China for a week can i use my current contract to make calls and use my wifi in China 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Using my phone in China

@Philipriley17  You can use WiFi has that has nothing to do with EE,  but you’ll be charged for any calls/text/data used.    Text RO CHINA to 150 to see what the costs are and what bundles you could purchase to help keep costs down. 

4 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@Philipriley17  You can use WiFi has that has nothing to do with EE,  but you’ll be charged for any calls/text/data used.    Text RO CHINA to 150 to see what the costs are and what bundles you could purchase to help keep costs down. 

by Philipriley17 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
by prelim Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi @Philipriley17,

I travelled to Shanghai in September with an iPhone 8 and roamed there without issue.

I was charged £6 per-day for 500MB of data.  The only issue I had was that the information page suggested it would automatically renew each day; however I had to manually renew it each day. 

Also keep in mind that the rollover time is midnight UK - this caught me out on my second morning there, when my data stopped at 7am...

One other thing I kicked myself over was not buying a local SIM at the airport when I arrived.  I discovered a bunch of things that would not work unless I had a China mobile number (crazily enough, my hotel Wi-Fi would not let me register without a SMS verification, but would only work with a China mobile number.....).  I learned to my cost that while there are lots of shops selling SIM cards around the city, the vast majority of these could not sell to international customers...

Cheers,

Chris

by prelim Established Contributor
Established Contributor

p.s. if you get a local SIM, you're better off with China Unicom.  China Mobile do now have LTE-FDD spectrum, but not as much...

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.