by FireHealer Investigator
Investigator

Upgrade to web only unlimited data is not unlimited data

Hi,

Anybody else had this problem: I upgraded my sim only deal today, to what is advertised as "Unlimited Data" (£27). It is showing as web only deal. Now it appears it's limited, to 40 GB a month. However, there is also another upgrade offer, for £27 a month, that's 40 GB. 

There's one for £23 a month, which is 100 GB.

Am I missing something or has EE made some kind of weird mistake? Because right now, apparently I can get 100 GB of data, for less money than 40 GB of data. What's all that about?

Here's the upgrade I picked:

Annotation 2020-03-26 225840.jpg

Here's the other one for the identical price but not unlimited data:
2 Annotation 2020-03-26 225840.jpg

and here's what I actually got:

3 Annotation 2020-03-26 225840.jpg

15 REPLIES 15
Investigator

Re: Upgrade to web only unlimited data is not unlimited data

Oh.. no those are just triangles. I did actually upload photos.

Investigator

Also apparently I'm struggling with this forum as I may not have posted this is the best place! Sorry.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@FireHealer : You did but they were awaiting approval. I have now done so & they should appear soon.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @FireHealer

Were they both available on the same page? Could you send me a link to them please?

Thanks

Chris 🙂

Investigator

Yes. It's essentially populating the standard upgrade view with sim only upgrade offers that I'm eligible for.

Not sure you'd be able to access the link yourself.

https://shop.ee.co.uk/auth/upgrade/recommendations?intcam=on_ee_na_upgrademyee_upgbanner

I have now upgraded again, so I've 100 GB for £23 a month, instead of 40 GB for £27 a month

by

Thanks @FireHealer.

Glad to hear you got a fantastic deal. 🙂

I'll pass on the link and screenshots to our web team for them to look into this.

Thank you.

Chris 🙂

by davidoheywood
Explorer

Hi,

This is the exact same situation I've just found myself in, however I was originally on the 100GB data per month package. Since upgrading to the 'unlimited' package last night, I now have 40GB of data for more money per month.

There are three scenarios I can think of:

1 - The unlimited plan has been set up incorrectly by EE, and should have unlimited data but doesn't.

2 - The unlimited plan is incorrectly named and doesn't include unlimited data.

3 - The package takes a while to switch over to unlimited data therefore My EE only shows 40GB temporarily, but does in fact include unlimited data.

It is imperative that I don't run out of data so please can you let me know which situation is the case from above? If the unlimited plan doesn't include unlimited data I need to switch myself back to the 100GB offering ASAP.

Many thanks,

Dave

by

Hi @davidoheywood,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

I'm sorry to hear your data allowance isn't showing correctly.

Please get in touch with Customer Care so we can take a look at your account.

Thanks

James

by mrbenellis Investigator
Investigator

I have exactly the same problem and it's impossible to get through to anyone on the phone. It's just a recorded message telling you to call back later. I've been getting this message for several days now. It would be great to hear some plans for resolving this problem that isn't just telling customers to call a number that no one is answering. 

by davidoheywood
Explorer

I managed to get through on the phones first thing yesterday morning. I was asked to send through screenshots as evidence of the plan that I'd chosen and that they'd sort it from there. Sent the images through and after a few hours I had been issued unlimited data... downside being that the plan in My EE now says its £7 more expensive than its supposed to be!

Fortunately for me I'm more concerned with having the data than I am the 7 quid at the moment, but I've notified them that it needs resolving. This specific plan is clearly set up wrong on EE's systems.

Hope this helps

Investigator

So, you're paying £34 for Unlimited Data, with no swappable benefits?

If so, then save yourself £2 a month by re upgrading to the actual Unlimited Data offer, which is £32.

This is a mess and since it's not limited to a single individual, I think it might get picked up by Ofcom. The thing is, it looks like EE doesn't have adequate processes to deal with this sort of thing and if Ofcom are like other regulators, they'll reduce fines if the company reports it themselves but in this, it's unlikely. Which means if Ofcom finds out and finds against the company, any fines will be much more substantial. 

In the meantime, the false upgrade offer is still there and probably still fooling some people. The more time goes by, the bigger the problem is likely to be. Some people may not even notice at first and if they are near to their renewal date, they might not have time to swap the upgrade, and then they'll be stuck with something they didn't actually agree to.

Oh dear.

Investigator

Oh yes. You may not be aware but as long as you are within 45 days of your renewal date, you can keep changing your upgrade. You can change it several times an hour if you like.

Which I think might be another issue!

So, my solution, to my own problem, is to change the upgrade to something else, because the £27 Unlimited Data Web Only Offer, is clearly erroneous. It looks like someone made a mistake in the database and got it confused with the £27 40GB offer. None of this really makes any sense though, because who would choose to pay £27 for 40GB when supposedly you could pay £27 for Unlimited Data or £23 for 100GB. 

Ouch. My head.

Investigator

Actually, I'm tempted to poke around and try some other upgrades. Maybe if I pick the 40GB for £27, I'll actually get unlimited data instead. It's a possibility that the 2 got mixed up, however, if people are choosing 40GB and accidentally getting Unlimited Data, I doubt they will be reporting it. So if it's happening, EE won't know about it, until it realises it's given away Unlimited Data to a whole load of people it wasn't expecting to.

Investigator

Then there's the potential increased cost-to-serve as a result of all of this. Although this may be mitigated by simply not answering the phone.

by mrbenellis Investigator
Investigator

I just managed to get through to someone at the EE call centre and they were really helpful and apologetic that it took so long to actually get to speak to someone.

They reassured me that the tariff does exist and they're going to fix the problem as soon as possible. If you have the same problem I'd recommend trying to call later in the evening - it seems to be quieter.

They asked for the confirmation email that I got from them when I upgraded so they could identify what the problem was.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.