by Stevem97 Investigator
Investigator

Unlimited plan showing 80% usage

Hi,

I have found out that I have used supposedly used 80% of my data on an unlimited plan. I understand a soft cap of 1000GB is there, but I have only used 80GB since the start of the pack. I have been using it for tethering a fair amount, but there was nothing online stating that tethering had a soft limit, like gifting, of 100GB. I hope this is an error or I have made a ridiculous purchase...

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Unlimited plan showing 80% usage

@Stevem97   Yes that’s correct.   You can gift up to 100GB but to gift 100GB you need to do that before you start using the data yourself as you can only gift the first 100Gb of your unlimited allowance.   So if you use 50GB before you gift you can only then gift 50GB.    So with you using 80% of your allowance tethering you’ve actually use 80GB of your 100Gb of gift able allowance. 

16 REPLIES 16
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Stevem97  you’ll probably find that this is the 80% of that 100Gb you can gift.

by Stevem97 Investigator
Investigator

So... The tethering counts as the giftable data? That was not what was stated. Anywhere. Many spoke of 12 devices, max, which is fine. https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4G-and-mobile-data/4G-EE-Home-broadband-SIM-and-unlimited-data-SIM/td-...

And others saying that tethering uses the unlimited total.  I.e. 1000GB https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4G-and-mobile-data/Unlimited-data-plan/m-p/821376

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4G-and-mobile-data/Tethering-on-unlimited-data-plan/m-p/818260

So why would my gifted be being used up? Makes no sense.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Stevem97,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

When using an unlimited plan, any data usage will decrement from your giftable allowance.

Find out more in Introducing our new unlimited plans.

Hope this helps.

James

by Stevem97 Investigator
Investigator

Hi @James_B thanks for the response.

So, to say it simply - the first 100GB is giftable usage, but once that runs out I can continue to use the data personally, but just won't be able to gift it?

Thanks

by
EE Community Support Team

That's right @Stevem97 

James

by Stevem97 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks very much @James_B !

That was a good sigh of relief!

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@Stevem97   Yes that’s correct.   You can gift up to 100GB but to gift 100GB you need to do that before you start using the data yourself as you can only gift the first 100Gb of your unlimited allowance.   So if you use 50GB before you gift you can only then gift 50GB.    So with you using 80% of your allowance tethering you’ve actually use 80GB of your 100Gb of gift able allowance. 

by Stevem97 Investigator
Investigator

@Chris_B  Thanks for the clarification 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Stevem97   If glad you understood it as I was stating to wonder if it was understandable.   😁

by Stevem97 Investigator
Investigator

@Chris_B I think the little example in your last line made it all the more clearer 😉

Thanks again

by Brownishmonster
Explorer

@James_B @chris

My wife has the unlimited data Plan and I transferred 40gb to myself at the start of the month (Day 0). It now states she has no data left (3 days left), even though she's on the unlimited account. I am very fortunate because I did not transfer 90gb at the start.

I tried to 'Gift data' but because she's on unlimited we're unable to do this.

by Stevem97 Investigator
Investigator

@Brownishmonster Whilst I am not well-knowledged in this area, I believe it would mean that she has no gift-able data left. i.e. she won't be able to give you, or anyone else any more data until the month is renewed. This was what my question in this topic that I was implicating. Can she continue to use her data at all?

The unlimited data plan has a soft-cap of 1000GB per month usage - and the first 100GB is giftable, which on my app also shows that it is 80%+ used, which is a little misleading.

by Brownishmonster
Explorer

@Stevem97 

Thank you for your quick response, and my sincerest apologies for hijacking your thread. Perhaps I should have asked a separate question, I thought your question was related to mine. Guess I was too quick to post.

With regards to her being able to use the data, unfortunately not. She received a text last week saying she used 80% of her allowance but she didn't see it.

There could be the case she has used 1000gb or so, but that seems unlikely.

Many thanks again.

by Stevem97 Investigator
Investigator

@Brownishmoinster No worries - I hope you find the answer to your query. It may be worth starting up another topic to have fresh traction for when, I assume, EE support will be active for tomorrow morning.

by Brownishmonster
Explorer

Thank you again.

I'll probably pop into the shop or call support. Their chat is supposed to be open until 11 (Fridays) but that isn't the case.

Many thanks again and I hope you will enjoy your weekend.

by Stevem97 Investigator
Investigator

Ah, that's annoying.

And again, no worries - these things can be infuriating when things seem to go weirdly wrong.

I hope you have a good weekend also.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions