Highlighted
by
Explorer

Unlimited data tethering using shared data

Hi,

I have unlimited data plan. 

I’m tethering my iPad from iPhone and it’s using my data allowed for gifting? I thought this was separate? Please can someone advise. Thanks. 

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Unlimited data tethering using shared data

@Inkypinky : It’s not actually using the data allowed for gifting but it's reducing the data available for gifting. You may only gift from the first 100 GB data of a 4G unlimited data plan. So if you use say 40 GB normally yourself that only leaves 60 GB available for gifting from now on. . 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by
Explorer

Ah ok - so in theory, I could gift my 100gb then continue using internet on unlimited data?

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

That's right! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Inkypinky 

Unlimited us only 1000GB. If you exceed this then EE may consider you a commercial and not private customer, or impose additional charges. 

All this information is in EE terms and conditions.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hi there, can you confirm that once you exhaust your gift data on unlimited plan you can continue to tether to your computer as usual? I am experiencing an issue tethering after I passed my gift allowance and when its tethering the speed is ridiculously slow?

Highlighted
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Tethering is different from gifting.

If you use up your gifting data you can still tether.

If you want to gift 100GB to someone do that on the first day your allowances refresh.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10/One UI 2.1)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Investigator
Investigator

Hi and thanks for the quick reply,

Do you know if the speed of the tethering will be affected once you gift all your data or use it in the tethering process? 

My issue is that the moment I exhausted my 100GB gift data via tethering the speed plummeted to 1.24KB or 2MB per sec from 7-15MB per sec?

again, I am unlimited plan for £34 quid package. Not sure if that makes a difference

Highlighted
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

No this won't effect the speed at all.

Other factors of congestion would effect it. People being home more now in the same area will see the mast at high capacity.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10/One UI 2.1)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hi Brendon

I just had a chat with EE for home broadband and I asked them as well for this just to have it officially confirmed and the customer service representative told me that their contract does not specify a limitation but according to their terms and conditions available on the website for 12 - 24 months contracts we only can tether the 100GB gift data and the rest of the 1000GB (900GB) is to be used only on our devices but cannot be tethered. She said it should automatically cut off or slow down to non-usable speed. To be honest, that is the issue I had, mine was so slow it was unusable the moment I finished my 100GB. Then she said she reseted my data on their side and that fixed it, but apparently they cannot do It regularly. She said that she was told that EE is thinking of increasing this amount of data to allow for the other people on the network who are working from home to utilise more of their allowance on tethering. 

To sum it up, what she said is that we can only tether 100GB and then we cannot, which is the opposite of what you and I think the case is. What is your opinion on this as I am getting worried as I go through 100GB per every 3 days due to work.

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Boris_Vasilev

Have a look at our terms and conditions, and look under the section titled Unlimited Plans 🙂

Data Gifting is limited to 100GB, and tethering is restricted to 12 devices, or 1000GB before it would be seen as breaching fair usage.

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.