by Crom Investigator
Investigator

Unlimited data sim: ever decreasing speed - what's going on?

speed.png

This chart started on 22.12.19 and the last entry is today 13.2.20. The chart clearly shows the speed of the data sim decreasing from approximately 50Mbps to around 10Mbps.

I have made a couple of calls to EE over the last fortnight as the performance of the 'line' has become unacceptable. They have, as ever, tried very hard to help but apart from saying that there have been issues with a local mast, been unable to offer me any help. If there has been an issue with a local mast then this would show up as intermittent issues with the 'line' as opposed to a steady decline.

The cynic in me turns to the fact that the SIM could be being steadily throttled but I believe that I am using this device within the terms and conditions of use, so I cannot explain why this might be the case.

The SIM is being used within a Teltonika 950 modem/router and provides a private wifi network.  

I'd appreciate some assistance in coming up with alternative suggestions as to what's causing the ever downwardly-spiralling speed problem and how to rectify it. 

Thanks,

Crom

8 REPLIES 8
by Crom Investigator
Investigator

Re: Unlimited data sim: ever decreasing speed - what's going on?

Hmm, for some reason that chart image isn't showing. I've shared the report from speedtest here. Thanks for your interest.

https://www.speedtest.net/results?sh=365d2599b4a512f7c1c67f27225cd904

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Crom , the chart does not show until it has been approved to be shown here, that is why. EE do not throttle speed, so not sure why you are having this problem, hopefully someone else will be able to help you, but since EE say there have been issues with the mast, that sounds like that is what the problem is. It also depends where the mast is, if it is on someone’s land, as they will then have to get permission to access it from the landowner, if that is the case.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

You are using servers all over the shop. Use the 1 nearest you & you might get more consistent results.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Yes, did not look at all the results, always need to use the one nearest to where you are based, @XRaySpeXisBroke is correct on this too.

by Crom Investigator
Investigator

Thanks both, for your responses. I will run further tests regularly using nearest server. I've just run one now (should be available on the link above):

down: 13.18Mbps

up: 1.18Mbps

Nothing there that changes the definite trend that's evident in that chart.

Nevertheless, I will report back. EE have kindly said that they will give me a call when the mast has been fixed. let's see what happens.

I'll report back.

Crom

by liggerz87 Contributor
Contributor

Could be network congestion maybe try turning to 3g instead of 4g

Highlighted
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@liggerz87 As EE only operate with a single 3G carrier, your proposition is ill advised. 

by liggerz87 Contributor
Contributor

I wouldn't say its illadvised as if its using 4g in an area and you change most people could be using 4g so 3g could be quicker and I was putting it out as an option

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.