by rgavalentine5
Explorer

Unlimited Data Packages

I feel its time EE provided unlimited data plans and scrapped the current plans on offer, are we ever likely to have this option (let'. Hope so) I'm not sure what percentage of us customers ever use the full 9999 limit of minutes and txts anyway, so why not reduce this, to cover costs for unlimited data instead.

15 REPLIES 15
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Unlimited Data Packages

Hi @rgavalentine5

EE review their tariffs and offer new plans and deals on a regular basis. We are lucky in the UK because our tariffs are cheap and offer much more data/text than say in the US. 

I don't really see the point in unlimited data plans and ultimately they would degrade the quality of the product offered as people would just hammer the network. Rather than unlimited plans I would like to see better and more coverage which hopefully will come with 5G.  

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by shopper Investigator
Investigator

I don't understand that sad little answer. In the states, I pay $55 USD (about £44 GBP) for 2 lines of unlimited data with T-mobile. Adding users who consume unlimited data does not eliminate the capacity of a network, it pays for expanding the capacity of the network.  Periodically EE runs specials that provide unlimited use for small periods of time. Why is this not offered all the time? One could reason,the profits are going into pockets instead of building the business.  I hope not. T-mobile has attracted sufficient customers using unlimited data to become the nation's largest and fastest mobile network. Why is that not happening here?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If you need more data each month because you use it up then your on the wrong tariff.  I and the majority of customers don’t use all their tariff allowance.    

If I remember correctly the use of  unlimited data has happened only once for contract customers and that was only if you lived in the central London area and it was for 1 week I believe. 

And PAYG customers get offers like this from time to time.   

And to answer the question of why EE don’t offer unlimited data that’s a simple one why should they when they can charge for it.  

And if EE should ever offer this then the price of that tariff would be high (very ) and I can bet the speed would be capped at a low level. 

by shopper Investigator
Investigator

Great! What tariff would you suggest? I used 10.7 GB in the last 2 days since starting with EE.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @shopper

Our top pay monthly phone contract plan is the 60GB  Max plan. If you were to exceed that plan, you can add more data, if you wish to.

Find out more about our pay monthly plans >

Chris

by treendy
Visitor

I agree, would be great if ee could offer truly unlimited data and allow tethering for the full unlimited data allowance : ( I am away from home a lot, and this would mean i could stream movies, TV, and for my long drives, i could stream music and podcasts, i could even do my gaming online for some nights when i am bored... i can easily use over 60GB within a week. Like "shopper" above said, its so easy to use your data when you are an active internet user. Unfortunately i am leaving ee on the 6th : ( its been a great service, but i have managed to find what i need elsewhere, i would have stuck around if you had unlimited data available and no caps on tethering. If in the future i see you start offering this, and i am looking to start a new contract, i will certainly come back.
by Crunchieeagle Contributor
Contributor

What about 4G Home broadband. 

Getting quite exciting in the southwest where i do Home 4G Broadband solutions (via Government schemes)

Three on 3 masts with unlimited broadband for £22 a month.

We never use Band 20 and can see on all our Mikrotik deveices what band and Bandwidth is available.

3 is 15Mhz and EE 20MHz.

Yes you will get better speeds on EE (most of the time depending on the location on the masts which are often shared.

Sometime double. But if i offer 50Mb/s DL, and 25MB/s UL on Three unlimited at £22 a month or 90MB/s DL and 40MB U/L for 500Gb at £100. The answer is almost the former which large users.

However large families do have Speed bandwidth problems within the house, often controlled is by ubiquiti or TPLink access point and management system, if they can afford it, so it is a still a catch 22.

If you need speed for the home, you generally need more data so EE have control here, but people can still work around 50MB/s (average speeds on 3) and if they are low users it is no brainer due to costs.

Over to you EE.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@shopper wrote:

I don't understand that sad little answer. In the states, I pay $55 USD (about £44 GBP) for 2 lines of unlimited data with T-mobile. Adding users who consume unlimited data does not eliminate the capacity of a network, it pays for expanding the capacity of the network.  Periodically EE runs specials that provide unlimited use for small periods of time. Why is this not offered all the time? One could reason,the profits are going into pockets instead of building the business.  I hope not. T-mobile has attracted sufficient customers using unlimited data to become the nation's largest and fastest mobile network. Why is that not happening here?

@shopper, personally I don't want nor need unlimited data. I can easily stay within 10Gb per months. I've had my allowance doubled from 10 to 20Gb by EE at no extra cost to me. I find it nice to have unlimited texts and data rather than some arbitrary 5000 or so number for each which I probably wouldn't ever use anyway. But when it comes to data use, there is a real cost to the communications company. I think people should therefore pay more to have higher use of it. And if they had unlimited data they'd be wasteful. AND ANYWAY, LETS FACE IT, there would always be a fair user policy on any "unlimited data" plan - so it wouldn't really be unlimited data.

Here's an analogy, I've used Twitter before but not any more more. Now imagine Twitter without a limitation of 160 or whatever characters per post... Would Twitter have caught on for the user - or would they have become bored? Could Twitter have borne the burden of the communication load? We don't want to be inundated with unnecessary data do we? And it costs at many levels. It would require more infrastructure to allow for the glut of unnecessary data use.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@shopper wrote:

Great! What tariff would you suggest? I used 10.7 GB in the last 2 days since starting with EE.

Whoa, that's a lot of data use. But that doesn't mean that you'd necessary use 10.7 X 2 X 15 = 321 Gb per month, every month. You might use it much less on some days... OK, you might even use it more. You'd have to assess for yourself whether to buy a 60, 100, 200, 300 or even 500 Gb per month plan - if indeed such are on offer. You'd have to speak to EE I think. You are talking here in what would be Commercial Company amount plans sizes. EE must surely offer such plans. Talk with EE!

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi, @treendy, @shopper@ @rgavalentine5@, such data use as you use, many of us don't. I and many still watch TV off Freeview, Freesat, or Sky boradcasts. We can record on receiver boxes. I and others can get by without home phone and home broadband. I can stay easily within 10Gb per month. I get 20, though. So, I could even watch some downloads if I wanted, etc. You, and others, though, are of a new section of people who use Netflicks, download music, Online game play, etc. To me, such data use is massive and unnecessary. To you it's normal. 

by Crunchieeagle Contributor
Contributor

There is a massive need though for a fair play unlimited data plan on LTE though for the home in Rural areas?

With so many companies trying and failing like GigaClear currently are in the South West of England, and many other providers trying here (only Truespeed seem to have got going with fibre in rural areas. Fixed wireless just doesnt work for many due to the Line of Sight issue (some get it some cannot), but I understand my market.

I also understand the capacity of home broadband on 4G masts and you cannot overload them. However that said. EVERYONE who can get fixed wireless if they are the lucky ones will go for it, as it is unlimited and cheaper than EE. Fixed wireless is usually 50Mb/s download/10Mb/s upload from Wessex Internet is £49 a month, less than EE 200GB package. They ill moan but put up with bad weather spells, but IT IS UNLIMITED at a reasonable cost. Three is a terrific price. What is the point of getting higher speeds if it is capped???

Can't wait for 5G. Oh 300MB/s were i live. Downloaded everything i need to this morning, but ran out of data?? Still, there is always next month before i can get online to do my homework?

by bobanite

If that was true, you would see this happen on other networks that do offer unlimited data.

I am on such a network at this time (and have been for some time), and I have not seen degradation due to people hammering the network.

So it looks like your response is erroneous.

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

https://imgur.com/a/OUtRMBr

EE does have unlimited data add on for 4GEE but you cant purchase it.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@bobanite   Just to add this thread was when EEs top allowance was 60GB it’s now double that and just look at the price for it.  What do you think if EE did do unlimited data the cost for that would be.   

by dannocks
Visitor

well EE just lost me as a data customer. I'm a rural highlands user and the adsl is unusable (especially upload) so this is a lifeline. Sad thing is with an external aerial I have a cracking EE signal (-65dBm) and can get 50Mb+ download with a 20Mb upload. Vodafone is poor so I get 15Mb and 3 up but now they offer unlimited contract I have taken that option as I can't afford the hundreds of pounds per month I'm burning up on EE working from home with two gamer kids on school holidays. I will return once EE get a competing contract.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.