by pwwhitehead Established Contributor
Established Contributor

UK Rural 4G Coverage

This year I have visited the following countries.

Sweden

while walking in woodland surrounded by spruce trees 60 feet  high I could get 3-4 bars of solid 4G. Never mind the excellent coverage within the rest of Sweden.

Paris

Yes a build up area with large building again solid 4G coverage 4-5 bars.

Ireland

County Mayo a very Rural area with vast expanse of nothing. Yet I could get excellent 4G coverage everywhere.

Now I reside in North Norfolk (NR268UP) with no signal. We seem to pay for for services in this country but get less. And yes EE keep on about there fast 4G which it is, if you reside in large urban areas. EE seem to offer little of no service to Rural areas. Wonder what I'm paying the subscription on my two lines for. 

A new mast is going up near me and surprise it's by O2/Vodafone. So much for the EE network expansion promise. Feel abondoned as a paying customer!

18 REPLIES 18
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: UK Rural 4G Coverage

Hi, 

You understand when you roam you get the benefit of using more than one mobile network/mast so will always get good coverage. When at home you don't benefit from this multi mast coverage but are limited to your own carrier. 

This was proposed by the government that you should be able to roam/use other providers masts in the UK to limit dead zones but upon the networks promising to improve coverage it was dropped. 

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

This is an issue of complexity beyond comprehension. Here are some main points though:

• The UK Planning Permission system where lots of masts get rejected by local authorities. I have seen far too many masts for blackspots rejected than I could ever wish to even attempt recollection. And these weren't monstrosity towers either, they were replica telegraph poles or even incredibly well designed fake trees. In some other countries, networks can (almost) fit any mast anyway. Clearly this keeps costs down MASSIVELY.
  • UK customers don't pay all that much for mobile services in the scheme of things. Areas like Norfolk, due to demographics and Geography, are probably very low revenue compared to the build cost.
  • UK customers don't always want mobile signal in their area. I wish I was joking but I'm not.

National roaming is something that seems to creep out of the woodwork every now and then. While some countries do use it, it's often to nowhere near the extent people seem to think due to technical complexities. Furthermore, when roaming you can't always use more than one network and other countries really often don't have coverage which is much better than us, if at all. I speak as someone who has run network engineering test software across significant distance in a number of European countries. Of course, finding a test route in Germany that is the same as the UK is impossible but from a personal user experience perspective, I think the UK has it very, very good, especially considering network retail prices.

Established Contributor

Well Cornerstone Telecommunications Ltd a independent company set up by O2/Vodafone found the time and necessity to apply for planning permission. Which was approved without issue. In fact the current build site was the second planning application approved the previous location was found to not have the necessary foundations to support the new mast. The second application has resulted in in 17.5 meter mast which has now been erected with the associated cobinets. Just waiting for power supply. So there are no issues with planning at my location.

How do EE expect to provide coverage for the emergency services contract with not spots. EE have stated that the necessary coverage for this contract would benefit EE customers. Or will the Police have a service with no mobile coverage in my area? Ok

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

If you need to dial 999 or 112 then you will use whatever network is available. You don' need your own network providers signal for these numbers.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

If there is no signal from any network, then suddenly one network wanting to add a mast potentially becomes of potentially significant benefit to many.

Established Contributor

No it's the mobile coverage which EE have to provide countrywide to allow Police control room to communicate with mobile Police officers. How can that happen if EE provide such poor rural coverage it's nothing to do with me calling any emergency service. It's EE who stated this emergency 4G network for emergency service would also provide additional coverage for EE users!

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

There is still a fairly significant amount of time before the Blue Light services move into ESN and EE has been building a significant number of new sites with ultra reliable technologies for it.

by Solcom2017 Contributor
Contributor

ESN was supposed to have been rolled out from 2016 but it keeps getting kicked into the long grass due to EE’s continued failure to provide the network.

think its 2019 now😐

Established Contributor

I really like EE for there products and good customer service. However a mobile company can have all the bells and whistles and the best customer service, however if they cannot provide a mobile service it's all for nothing. After all the are a Mobile company. I would not touch Vodafone with a barge pole, the epitimise everything about poor service. However O2 are on a part with EE regarding good customer service and that company are improving 2G/3G and rolling out 4G in my area North Norfolk. 

I have unfortunately moved on line to a provider who can give me coverage and the second line will get moved before the end of the year.

EE brag, correctly about maximum download speeds, however that's only true if you live in abig city or major urban areas. In my part of the world the are second rate when it's comes to coverage and therefore speed.

Yesterday I was out with a colleague old 1 mile from Cromer, he had a poor one bar signal of 2G, I have full signal at 4G. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @pwwhitehead

We’re working towards covering 95% of the UK with 4G by 2020. In 2016 alone we added 4G coverage to an extra 25% of the UK, meaning 80% of UK landmass now has superfast 4G speeds on our network.

Find more about our coverage ambition >

Chris

by Solcom2017 Contributor
Contributor

I work all over norfolk and suffolk and even when it says 4g its very rare its useable so i just take it with a pinch of salt and file it under the same guff that BT spout about broadband coverage. 

I was an openreach engineer for 8 years so i know exactly how they operate🙄

Established Contributor

Not wishing to be negative towards EE but action speaks louder than words, and in my area regarding coverage it's all words and no action.

I agree with you regarding the so called 4G coverage in non City areas this checker bears no relationship to the reality of EE mobile coverage. For my post code it gives weak 4G which is actually nil, slightly better 3G again nil coverage. And good moderate 2G coverage. All are a big fat zero. 

In Roughton I pass an EE mask 200-300 yards from the road yes 4G but only at three bars. If that's the distance EE 4G covers then rural areas have no chance of usable coverage. 

Again EE excellent for built up and urban areas, but for rural it's just terrible and way behind the opposition.

Established Contributor

Sorry for getting pedantic but according to your network checker, this states I'm in a 4G area with good outdoor coverage with 2G. If EE regard my area as part of the country that now has fast 4G then my area stands no chance. 

The real usable for my area in nil coverage indoors and outdoors. This applies to 2G never mind 4G. So I'm available EE are really not on the same playing field when compared to other providers, who are building new masts giving 4G all along the North Norfolk area. I had two lines with EE one line moved to another provider last month. The second line will be getting moved within the next 4-6 weeks. Shame as I really like EE as a company, but you fail in my area on the first essential a usable Network.

by

It certainly is a shame, @pwwhitehead.

As your experience seems to be completely different to what the coverage checker shows, I recommend discussing it again with our technical support team.

They will be able to go into more detail as to why this is.

Chris

Established Contributor

Chris,

I did speak to the technical team prior to putting my other line to O2. The comment I received was I should not expect any usable coverage for my post code. I even asked if there was a chance this situation would change in the none too distant future. The reply was don't expect any coverage in the foreseeable future either. They stated the 800 at the nearest mast was switched on, not what I was told on previous calls, so my coverage would get no better? 

So I transferred my first line with the other to follow soon:(

Paul

by

I'm sorry to hear that, @pwwhitehead.

As mentioned in a previous post, we do have long term coverage goals.

Hopefully, this means the coverage in your area will improve soon.

Chris

Established Contributor

Chris,

I took your advice and spoke to technical. I got a very nice lady from Ireland who spoke to level 2 technical. The upshot they have degraded mast located in Sheringham which has work planned to improve signal strength and coverage alone with 4G. She did state this work could take from weeks to years.

Even thought I'm nearly out of contract and I did not mention and expect a discount the lady applied discount to my remaining line, as she accepts the issue is with EE not providing a good coverage.

I hope the situation is resolved as I would bring back my other line if the coverage improves.

The lady was very helpful and polite.

by

Thanks for speaking to them again, @pwwhitehead.

It sounds positive for the future in the area. Hopefully, it's sooner rather than later. 🙂

We'd love to be in a position for you to have both lines with us again.

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions