by wspencer Investigator
Investigator

Twitter and Facebook messenger Apple iOS apps do not work over EE 4G

Using an Apple iPhone 6S on iOS 11.4.1

Some apps will not connect properly when only conencted to EE 4G, for example Facebook Messenger and Twitter, however there are others.

These apps work perfectly when connected on WiFi

It seems to be an SSL or certificate related problem, some other apps also have problems.

Please can you help, there are lots of other business apps that don't function for me when I am out and about that I need to use. It is not practical to have to wait until I can connect to WiFi to get some updates.

thank you

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by wspencer Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Re: Twitter and Facebook messenger Apple iOS apps do not work over EE 4G

So I requested EE turn off Content Control, reset network settings, turned off and on again, no change.

Then this afternoon iOS 12 became available for my phone - so I upgraded (from 11.4.1) and lo and behold the problem has gone away.

This has been bothering me for months, and now it is sorted.

iOS 12 has fixed it.

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

I'd be surprised. There are loads of owners of iPhones using such apps.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by wspencer Investigator
Investigator

That is why I am asking for help, I can assure you that they are not working for me.

The apps work fine on a non-EE connection, work fine on Vodafone 4G but not on EE 4G.

So what setting or configuration could possibly be causing this?

The apps open and appear to work, for example I can get notifications, but I cannot then read or post new messages.

Is this a device setting (on current update of iOS on a current device, apps are updated) or a network setting, or something else?

thanks

by wspencer Investigator
Investigator
Solution

So I requested EE turn off Content Control, reset network settings, turned off and on again, no change.

Then this afternoon iOS 12 became available for my phone - so I upgraded (from 11.4.1) and lo and behold the problem has gone away.

This has been bothering me for months, and now it is sorted.

iOS 12 has fixed it.

by
EE Community Support Team

Great news @wspencer Smiley Happy

Thanks for sharing the solution.

James

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.