by Basil21 Contributor
Contributor

Trackers and EE costs questions

I have a tracker on a piece of expensive plant equipment. It sends via gprs its coordinates at user defineable intervals. How can i cost this, I am unsure wheter it's feasible to have it someties send updates say every 30 seconds or perhaps 5 minutes for hours on end or if it will bankrupt me 🙂 Testing for an hour with 4 minute updates shows no change in data usage on the My EE account page.  I am not sure how this usage updates though. How "hungry" are the trackers? I assume gprs to the EE APN is billed as data? Anyone any experience with these things please? Thanks 🙂

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Trackers and EE costs questions

@Basil21  You’ll see no data change on the account as it’s Kb that are being used. EE only show Mb being used. So once you’ve used 1024 Kb will it show its used 1 Mb and that will show on the account. 

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Basil21  It’s only a very small amount of data being used at any one time.  If it’s a user setting on how often you receive the updates how often do you want to be informed of its location?  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Where is the tracker addressing its coordinates?

I thought you said the tracker is sending texts. On PAYG, as you have, texts cost 15p each or come out your add-on allowance when you have 1.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Basil21 Contributor
Contributor

I can set it to sms or gprs. i am aware that getting texts from it is costly in the long ter, they are only used to change settings or check its functionality. i set it to update every 30 seconds and have just been on a 40 mile drive. I see no change in data allowance left at My EE account page. Texts used appear correct. How often is the data allowance updated on the My EE account page plase? thanks to both of you for your replies, I'm not sure what you mean by where is it sending to?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I asked that Q cuz I envisage issues if it is sending data packets to you.

Where is the tracker addressing its coordinates over mobile data? Are they being received?

Have you bought a data add-on for it? Previously you only talked of talk & text.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@Basil21  You’ll see no data change on the account as it’s Kb that are being used. EE only show Mb being used. So once you’ve used 1024 Kb will it show its used 1 Mb and that will show on the account. 

by Basil21 Contributor
Contributor

The device reprts to a tracking web site outside of the UK. It has the IP address and port number set by me, the user. It is being reported accurately at user defined intervals. the site has a "TRACK" button, but that fails to draw a route despite updates at 30 second intervals, but that's not a problem with EE I hope 😉 I address the tracker with sms commands and it replies with ss responses, so whilst i am messing with it sms is flying to and fro. I guess once I have it as i need it the sms usage will fall and data usage increase. Thanks for the reply.

by Basil21 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the respnse, that's great, I hadn't realised, but of course am glad, that data usage with coordinates is not data intensive, so close data update intervals are a possibility at reasonable cost 🙂 I am surprised the few GPS Tracker discussion sites have few up to date posts on them, as the Ebay "bargains" are taxing to fathom, with poor instructions in Chinglish and no corroboration with commands, dozens of clones and umpteeen firmware versions for ostensibly similar devices!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Basil21 wrote:

The device reprts to a tracking web site outside of the UK. It has the IP address and port number set by me

Good 🙂 The problem I envisaged would only appear if it were trying to communicate with a server running over the EE mobile network or, perhaps, other mobile providers who employ Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which would mean that they don't get their own public IP address but share it with other users. So they can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore their LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB.

by Basil21 Contributor
Contributor

OK, understood (just..... ;)) Thanks again!

@XRaySpeX wrote:

@Basil21 wrote:

The device reprts to a tracking web site outside of the UK. It has the IP address and port number set by me

Good 🙂 The problem I envisaged would only appear if it were trying to communicate with a server running over the EE mobile network or, perhaps, other mobile providers who employ Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which would mean that they don't get their own public IP address but share it with other users. So they can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore their LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions