by Aps996 Investigator
Investigator

Tethering with Pixel XL

Hi,

Has anyone had tethering issues with Pixel phone?

I am able to connect to my devices but I am getting unable to connect to internet message on my laptop.

Anyone able to help? I have called EE but they just want to replce my handset!

12 REPLIES 12
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Tethering with Pixel XL

Hello @Aps996 try changing the hotspot password on your phone, deleting the connection from both your phone/PC then trying again. Restarting the phone and/or the PC can also help. Other than that you may need a replacement device as customer service have advised if the phone has a physical/hardware fault. If you have an old PC it may not be fully supported with the WiFi bands your phone uses. 🙂 

by Aps996 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Tom222,

I have tried everything you have suggested with no success.

3 different laptops that are all of different ages. My old HTC M9 never had any issues. 

My pixel did tether on and off for 2 days but today was a complete nightmare.

🤔

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Sorry to hear you are having problems with it @Aps996. In that case I would advise calling customer service again since the fault is likely to be with the phone if so many devices are failing to connect to it. It should be as straightforward as connecting to any standard BB router and does not need any extra settings/adjustments etc. 🙂 

by
EE Employee

Hi @Aps996

I've found this thread on the Google forum.

There's some other users experiencing the same issues.

Hope this helps!

Thanks - Karen Smiley Happy

by Aps996 Investigator
Investigator

Thxs Karen but I have read that post already when i googled issue with my phone. It seems to be an intermittent problem as I managed to tether to 2 different laptops late last night!

I hope it's not the handset as i spent 2 days setting the phone up 😥

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @Aps996.

Thanks for coming back to us.

If you get in touch with our technical support team they will be able to help you further with this.

The get in touch pages have an option for chat after selecting EE.

Let us know how you get in.

by Aps996 Investigator
Investigator

Thxs for reply, i have already been in touch and they are going to replace my phone.

by

Thanks @Aps996.

Let us know how you get on with the replacement phone.

Have a good weekend 🙂

by Aps996 Investigator
Investigator

Thxs for everyones replies but I think I have found the problem!

I installed a set of toggle widgets from Play store(Jason Hull is the developer) on my home screen. I also had these on my HTC M9(no problem at all). I have uninstalled these and swipe down from top of screen to access hotspot and hey presto tethering is working as I type this message 🙂 

Will keep post up to date with use over next few weeks.

Hope this helps anyone else who is having this problem.

🙂

by

This is great news @Aps996

Thanks surprise.png

As a thank you for sharing this information and helping other users I would love to treat you to dinner on us!

I have sent you a private message to get some details from you and I will get you a voucher sent out!

Hope to see you around in the future 🙂

by straga
Visitor

This is an excellent piece of advice.

I was using an app that overrode the quick access panel that you swipe down from the top to access. As soon as I uninstalled that my hotspot stopped constantly dropping connections.

Not the most obvious of solutions but it might be a good idea to maybe sticky this solution too make it more visible to people with the same problem.

I was using an app called "Shortcutter" which is an otherwise great app that seems to break tethering on Pixel devices.

by
EE Employee

Hi @straga and welcome to the community.

I'm glad you found the information useful.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.