Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Tethering on unlimited data plan

Hi

trying to find more information on tethering on the unlimited data plan and what limits there are ?

All I seem to be able to find of that it comes off your data plan, but with unlimited I am guessing there is a limit to tethering.

Thanks for any help

jihn

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: Tethering on unlimited data plan

Good Afternoon @johnrs

Welcome to the EE Community. 

Yes, you can hotspot off your phone on an unlimited plan as long as it's for personal use only. If you regularly tether 12 or more devices, we will consider this non-personal use and have the right to move you to a more suitable plan.

We will consider usage above 1000GB/month to be commercial use and have the right to move you to a business plan. 

Thanks, 

Katie 🙂

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
Highlighted
by
Solution

Good Afternoon @johnrs

Welcome to the EE Community. 

Yes, you can hotspot off your phone on an unlimited plan as long as it's for personal use only. If you regularly tether 12 or more devices, we will consider this non-personal use and have the right to move you to a more suitable plan.

We will consider usage above 1000GB/month to be commercial use and have the right to move you to a business plan. 

Thanks, 

Katie 🙂

View solution in original post

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for answering so quickly

John

Highlighted
by

Your most welcome @johnrs

Hope to see you around the community in the future, 

Katie 🙂

Highlighted
by
Visitor

I understand that I can tether multiple devices on a unlimited data sim What it doesnt tell me is how many  can be used simultaneously  Ie A Phone + laptop and a TV for example? In the home or would this not be considered "Personal use"?

Highlighted
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Read the thread it's been answered.

12 is the limit before they consider it business use.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10/One UI 2.1)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Highlighted
by
Explorer

Hi there, I recently used my data (20gb) to upload some videos via my iMac. It hammered through my data (15gb) in no time but uploaded quickly too. So I have just paid for the unlimited data add on as I have some more videos I’d like to upload with tethering through to my iMac again. For some reason it’s now super slow? Is there any reason for this or is it just bad luck? I was wondering if there were any limitations to uploading through tethering on the unlimited data plan?

Thanks a lot,

Ed

Highlighted
by

Hi @Tuckshop10,

Your new data add-on won't have affected your data speeds.

Are you seeing any issues with other apps or online services?

Thanks

James

Highlighted
by
Explorer

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply.

My data speed works fine on my phone, it’s just when tethering through my Mac and trying to upload it’s very slow. It wasn’t as slow as this before I went on the unlimited data plan.

Thanks

Ed
Highlighted
by

Hi there @Tuckshop10

Thanks for coming back to us.

If you get in touch with our Tech Gurus on 150, they will be able to look into this further for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Leanne.

Highlighted
by

Good afternoon,

I have recently been using my Unlimited Plan to Hotspot my Xbox & Apple TV. This morning I received a SMS saying; 

"Hi from EE: You've used 80% of the data you can gift. Don't worry, this doesn't affect your unlimited data allowance."

What is the data limit on hotspot for other devices? Surely, it is unlimited given this is personal use and only 2 or 3 devices (I am of course paying for an unlimited tarif)

Thanks,
Ben

Highlighted
by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

The message is in reference to data gifting, which is where you may transfer data to other lines on your account.

There is a fair use policy of 100 or 120GB on unlimited plans, depending on which one you're on and the text is to notify you that you're approaching that limit.

This will not affect the data allowance from your device

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

This is what EE posted at the top of this thread

"We will consider usage above 1000GB/month to be commercial use and have the right to move you to a business plan."

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

In here you didn't mention anything about the tethering limit which from my extensive research I concluded it to be 100GB only.

This is so confusing, now the 100GB you call 'sharing data' means if I use the 100GB my self tethering to my laptop I will no longer be able to tether or hotspot as my 100GB sharing data limit is up, I will only be able to use the 'unlimited data' on my phone, browse and watch without a cap provided it's in my phone not tethering/hotspot, is my understanding correct or I'm missing something here? Thanks in advance

Highlighted
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @EE_Comms The 100GB sharing data is not related to tethering, it's the amount you can gift to someone else on your account.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@EE_Comms   Tethering is not data gifting so when you tether you can use up to 1000GB before you could be moved to a business tariff.

Your first 100 or 120Gb of your allowance can be gifted but if you use this before you gift it you can not gift data after.  

data gifting is when you give someone who has a device on your account some of your data.    

tethering is just going to use your data allowance.  

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

@chistery Hi,

Thank you for your reply and help.

Please look at my reply to Chris.

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

@Chris_B 

Hi,

Thank you for your reply and help.

That's where I'm very confused, I just got a contract with EE's unlimited data plan, thinking that I would be able to tether with no restriction, I even bought mobile router so I can put the sim in to get better signal, as I work around the UK I need the internet to be with me all the time, but, when I spoke with EE's customer service this morning they told me that I can only tether 100GB after that I can only use the data on my phone, I was very surprised, he said that I can gift 100GB which means I can tether 100GB only (either myself or someone else) but I cannot tether more than that, i.e I can't use my data in my laptop or PC only on my phone, I was shocked because I only took the contract just for the unlimited data, I'm now considering canceling my contract to move to three's unlimited, but I just need to make sure before going ahead as I really like EE's signal in my area.  

Highlighted
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@EE_Comms  I would suggest you call back tomorrow and try again. Maybe there was a misunderstanding but as EE staff have stated here, it's unlimited (With a FUP).

It's stated here in the legal terms too.

Unlimited Plans: Uncapped and Unlimited data - 15GB fair use policy applies outside UK. Personal, non-commercial use only. If you regularly tether 12 or more devices, we will consider this non-personal use and have the right to move you to a more suitable plan. We will consider usage above 1000GB/month to be commercial use and have the right to move you to a business plan. If you are on a Smart Handset or Smart SIM plan you can choose from 3 swappables (Amazon Prime Video, BT Sport or the Roam Further Pass). 5G Handset customers can gift up to 120GB all other unlimited customers can gift up to 100GB. Data usage on an unlimited plan will decrement from giftable allowance. Any data boost allowance will be added to the giftable allowance.

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

@chistery  Thank you for the help.

That legal terms is useful, I will call them tomorrow and let them clarify things, not sure why they said what they said today but surely there must be misunderstanding as you've mentioned, as clearly it doesn't say anything about tethering limit in their legal terms. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.