by juslisnen Investigator
Investigator

Streaming apple music - data usage

Hi,

First question here...

I have a Apple iPhone 8 and use Apple Music on my journey into work (around 40 min journey). I recently had my data roll over to a new month (2 days) and according to my mobile data usage,  I have used in excess of 1.1GB already using this.

I personally don't believe this for one minute, unless I'm streaming video. I wouldn't expect to go beyond 256kbps when streaming music, so around an average of 40-50MB per hour? (estimate). Can anyone explain?

I would expect to use that amount (1.1GB) across the whole month, surely? 

6 REPLIES 6
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Streaming apple music - data usage

Evening @juslisnen

Welcome to the community.

Are you using the Apple Music free trial for 6 months'?

The data usage you have used, is this showing in your My EE account or the settings in your iPhone?

Leanne.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@juslisnen   Is this usage report from your EE account or your device 

Investigator

Hi @Leanne_T ,

no I'm on a separate direct tariff with Apple. 

Investigator

Hi @Chris_B 

I’m not quite sure what you mean. 

The total data used on my EE account tallies up with the breakdown on the iPhone setting usage screen. I reset the usage statistics when the data reset from EE 3 days ago. 

The iPhone states I’ve used 1.2gb of music data in as little as 3 days. Seems excessive to me? This is for a 40 min journey into work and back. 

Facebook has used 2gb but that could be video playback etc.  

Is there a setting I should be looking at?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @juslisnen,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

You can reduce the amount of data that Apple Music uses by turning off High Quality on Mobile Data in Settings > Mobile Data.

Alternatively, Our Music Data Pass gives you unlimited data to use with Apple Music and other selected music apps.

Hope this helps.

James

Investigator

Thanks @James_B 

I couldn't find that setting but found something similar in: Settings>Music>Mobile Data>High-Quality Streaming

Problem is, as I only listen in car for  a short journey I prefer HQ music so guess the choice is to leave on or turn off and see if I notice a  difference in quality. 

I'll take a look at the Music Data Pass, thank you!

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.