by Astarix Investigator
Investigator

Some kind of data speed limit on my Orange account

Hello folks

Orange customer of nearly 20 years here. After many happy years with an HTC I got a Xiaomi Mi6 last summer and a new nanosim to fit. Everything was right for a while, but in the last month or so my 3G data speed has collapsed to only a few Kbps. I have tried all the usual things - network reset SMS, phone factory reset, deleted and recreated the APN, including through the text the phone support line sends, gone through customer services' diagnostics, got a new replacement SIM card sent to me... nothing has fixed it.

But here's the thing. I got a PAYG EE SIM, and with the phone set to 3G only it works just fine:

EE: set to WCDMA/CDMA/UTMS only = 40mb/s

EE: set to GSM only = 100kb/s

Same with a friend's Vodafone SIM:

Vodafone: set to WCDMA/CDMA/UTMS only = 12mb/s
Vodafone: set to GSM only = 100kb/s

(In both cases they work with 4G just fine too, but as my Orange SIM doesnt offer that it doesnt concern me)

Orange: 10kb/s on a good day.

Even though it's using the same network as EE, I'm getting dial up modem speeds - SLOWER THAN 2G. It's unusable. I can barely even run the speedtest apps. I've tried the "Prefer LTE/3G/2G" setting from Android, and the various settings from the Testing app underneath (LTE/WCDMA/CDMA/UTMS/GSM...). No difference. If I put my Orange SIM into a friend's phone, I get the same result. But when I've put other SIMs into my phone, it's worked fine.

What have we learned?

New SIM - can't be the SIM
Tried different SIMs from different companies - can't be the network
Tried different handsets - can't be the phone.
Oh, and I've also just spent five days roaming across Scotland and had the same issue, so it's not local network disruption where I live/work either.

This is incredibly frustrating. I'd love to hear some other suggestions - other than the usual customer services suggestion that I switch to an EE contract.

thanks,
8 REPLIES 8
by Astarix Investigator
Investigator

Re: Some kind of data speed limit on my Orange account

by
EE Employee

Hi @Astarix and welcome to the community.

As I mentioned to the user in the thread you linked to, please give our Customer Service Team a quick call so that they can run some diagnostics.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Astarix Investigator
Investigator

Hi Lee, 

As I said:

I have tried all the usual things - network reset SMS, phone factory reset, deleted and recreated the APN, including through the text the phone support line sends, gone through customer services' diagnostics, got a new replacement SIM card sent to me

(a few times now, in fact).

If Orange = EE and runs off the same network, then there must be something peculiar happening for different SIMs in the same circumstances to get such wildly different service.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Astarix.

That is why @Lee_H recommended speaking to our technical support team, so that they can investigate this further.

Please let us know how you get on.

Chris

by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

If it's an Orange SIM, I believe they try to connect to MNC 33 masts (which won't have fast backhaul) so this maybe the reason. Is there are difference in signal strength between the EE SIM and Orange SIM?

by Astarix Investigator
Investigator

It is an Orange sim, but signal strength hasn't been a limiting factor - I can have five bars of signal and still only get 10kbps speed or less. It's like the telecoms infrastructure makes the connection, but service is denied or limited. Which indicates some kind of bar or cap that's been applied at the account level. 

Anyway I've made it as far as level 3 support now (!), so hopefully resolved soon. 

Thanks,

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Is there a particular reason you havent converetd the Orange Account to EE?

Reason I ask is I suspect legacy Orange and T-Mobile customers are not far away from the change to EE or services will cease letter.

Back to topic... Could it be that they are re-farming spectrum in your area? Or could it be a tactic to get the few remaining legacy customers to move to more lucrative EE contracts?

ewan

by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

@Astarix I was asking about signal strength as the two SIMs will default connect to different masts. Orange SIMS will try to connect to old Orange masts with MNC 33 and EE/T-Mobile SIMs will try to connect to upgraded or original T-Mobile MNC 30 masts.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions