by EESan Investigator
Investigator

Slow 4GEE Max

Hello

I had a Lumia 930 Windows phone for a few years using EE's standard 4G speeds. The speed I was getting from my house, a train journey to and from work were not bad but I didnt know any better.

I was then upgraded to a Max plan and since then my commute was on another level. Web pages and its content would load like nobodys business. I cannot remember the exact speeds but it was impressive and I know it was an increase from standard speeds.

Now its time to bail Windows OS and I bought a stock Android Nokia 8 phone. Same sim card, same 4GEE Max plan, but not the same speeds. I put it down to maybe the browser  and changed that and its not made 'much' difference, certainly nowhere near what I'm used to. Pages would load eventually, minus some content usually. There are no blockers on the browser and being a relatively new phone theres not much of anything on there.

I've just done a speed test on Fast.com and its come back with a paltry 11mbps download speed, which i believe is close to the upper limits of standard speeds anyway. I've not even used speedtest.net as i dont want to disappoint myself further.

This is not a one off either, I've had the phone 2 months, same commute same speed. Is it my phone or the network? And any ideas on how to get what I'm capable of getting?

I have measly data so I dont tether so I cant see why it could be throttled.

I'm not for a second going to believe theres some sort of work going on in my area, not for 2 months anyway so my location is unimportant, however I am open to other causes.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Slow 4GEE Max

@EESan  Can you try the windows device again and see if it feels quicker?   You’ve gave me the impression it started when you changed devices. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Welcome to the community, @EESan 🙂

I think @Chris_B's test would be really useful. 

Could you get back to us once you've tried that, if you're able to?

Thanks

Chris

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@EESan I assume your device is showing as on 4G and not 3G?

by EESan Investigator
Investigator

Hi Chris

The phone has been donated to someone else who also happens to be on a max plan I think but I will ask anyway.

Yes it's definitely made a change since I switched devices. For what it's worth, neither handsets were bought from EE. 

by EESan Investigator
Investigator

Hi chistery

You assume correct. It does show 4g and always has

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for confirming that, @EESan.

The slower speeds could be affected by a number of factors.

I've sent you a private message to get a little more information from you.

Please take a look and get back to me.

Thanks

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.