by Lamplite1c Investigator
Investigator

Sim free galaxy s7 volte

I know lots of people are sighing and thinking here we go again, however who would it be that we could contact to request that volte get switched on to a sim free phone? This surely cannot be a hard thing to do as if I put a three sim in boom it works.  When I was beta testing nougat and an early release of nougat allowed the phone to volte, would it be that once ee give the go ahead for the branded nougat firmware they can then give samsung the nod to switch it on.  However samsung have said that ee could refresh the sim and flick switches on you account and there's no need for the sim free firmware s7 to have an update, as there capable of having a carrier update similar to iPhone.

Any thoughts? 

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Sim free galaxy s7 volte

Hi, 

Whilst I would agree with your view and I am sure it will come eventually this service makes zero difference to my EE user experience so I really don't miss it. The benefit of having an unbranded phone is still more important. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Lamplite1c wrote:

I know lots of people are sighing and thinking here we go again, however who would it be that we could contact to request that volte get switched on to a sim free phone? This surely cannot be a hard thing to do as if I put a three sim in boom it works.  When I was beta testing nougat and an early release of nougat allowed the phone to volte, would it be that once ee give the go ahead for the branded nougat firmware they can then give samsung the nod to switch it on.  However samsung have said that ee could refresh the sim and flick switches on you account and there's no need for the sim free firmware s7 to have an update, as there capable of having a carrier update similar to iPhone.

Any thoughts? 

I use this app to toggle VoLTE but I'm on an EE build of Marshmallow https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapbase.LTEswitcher&hl=en_GB It would be interesting to see what it does on an unbranded/BTU phone. You just basically toggle the VoLTE Flag and resart the radio. I don't know what the other stuff does though and wouldn't touch it.

From what I remember VoLTE worked in beta Nougat but not in the 1st live release but it has been reported it did in the 2nd release. I'm assuming which ever version of Nougat EE release it will support VoLTE.

That's interesting Samsung are saying the S7 can recieve carrier updates. I thought it was just iPhone that had that. If that is the case maybe it could solve the problem of having numerous modified carrier firmwares.

by Lamplite1c Investigator
Investigator

Unfortunately the app when flicking on the volte restarting radio it automatically turns off the volte grrr 

Highlighted
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Sorry to hear that. I guess VoLTE needs some kind of config that's only in the EE firmwares at the moment.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions