by dreamkatcha Contributor
Contributor

Scam charges, bill more than doubled for no apparent reason

When I called EE to cancel my account a while back I was offered a big data allowance on my Osprey mobile broadband deal to stay, which I agreed to at a slightly extra cost. I was paying just under £20 per month at that point. Then in February this year my bill shot up to £38.29 for no good reason. I imagine because EE suddenly decided to charge me for the 'carrot on a stick' they dangled to keep me as a customer.

Now in June it's gone up to £43.62 because they've added an extra £4.50 mystery charge to my account for 'Services from other companies' which I have never subscribed to. I don't use my number for phone calls, it's purely a mobile web dongle.

I can supposedly check what this service relates to by looking up a number, only where the number should be displayed it says 'unbranded' so I have no recourse to investigate this. The place called and length fields are also blank.

I have contacted EE customer support and have so far been completely ignored. Please refund the extra money you have deducted from my account since February without my permission (something I believe is called 'theft') and cancel my account immediately.

15 REPLIES 15
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Scam charges, bill more than doubled for no apparent reason

Hello there @dreamkatcha

Thanks for coming back to the community.

Have you been advised what the extra charges are for from customer service?

Did they provide contact details for the third party charge?

I am sorry the community team are unable to cancel your account to do this you would need to give us a call on 150 or 0800 079 8586.

Thanks, Leanne.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@dreamkatcha  if 3rd party service has been added to your account then EE is passing that bill on to you as it’s against your number and EE is not paying your subscription services.  

It’s not called theft it’s called your paying your own subscription services as it’s your bill.  

And as this is a public forum that has no account access your account will remain open   You’ll need to call customer services to close your account and pay off any remaining contract term that you owe. 

Contributor

Yeah, that's how it's supposed to work in an ideal world, except I haven't subscribed to anything. I don't use this device in a way that would even make that possible. I've noticed there are plenty of people around the web commenting on being in the same situation.

Contributor

No, I used a contact form to get in touch because I haven't got the time or inclination to hang around on the phone all day when I shouldn't even have to deal with this nonsense in the first place. They haven't got back to me to explain anything.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It may have been for reversed-charged texts from Premium Rate nos. you may have inadvertently subscribed to on the Web whilst browsing. EE are not obliged to refund you but you may complain to the Premium rate regulator Phone-paid Services Authority or the firm itself.

Do you check your SMS Inbox in the MBB router?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @dreamkatcha

If you can get in touch with our customer service team they will be able to help you.

You can call or use the chat service when selecting the get in touch page and EE a chat option will show when an agent is available.

Thanks, Leanne.

Contributor

Thanks for your help everyone.

No, I never check my text messages, but have just now. There were several from 'UK VIP Games' saying they'd subscribed me to their service at £4.50 p/w and I could unsubscribe by texting them with a stop message. The cheek of it! I've never had anything to do with the cretins, and now they've been allowed to piggyback onto my EE direct debit.

I spoke to EE customer support who washed their hands of it, and refused to refund my money. I've now cancelled my account and won't have anything to do with them ever again. They're as culpable as the scammers for letting them get away with this.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@dreamkatcha EE doesn’t know if you actually intended to set up the service.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

Do these texts come from a shortcode no. or just the name of the firm? You could still complain to Phone-paid Services Authority to investigate it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ever clicked on one of these w/out reading the small print?comp.png

Contributor

No, definitely not. That probably wouldn't even have appeared since I block ads using uBlock.

Contributor

Good point, but I still reckon it shouldn't even be possible to subscribe to services in this way whether you want to or not. It's clearly too easy to exploit and with no protection from EE beforehand (they've blocked the option now) customers appear to be sitting ducks.

Contributor

This is a copy of the first text received...

Mobile Phone Number: BestVIP
Date: 23-01-2018 06:21:10
SMS:

FreeMsg: Thank you for subscribing to UK bestvipgames for £4.50 per week from
BestVlPgames until you text STOP to 64055. HELP? 03333003561

I'm going to try this approach next time I go shopping... steal a load of goods and tell the security guard on the way out that if he'd rather I didn't, he should make a request by text.

Anyway, yes, they've now been reported to the PSA, and I've contacted the company themselves, for whatever that's worth. Please scammer, can I have my money back? I'll let you know how it goes.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@dreamkatcha  This can happen from using Facebook and other social media that has advertising on it its not just browsing the web.

by muggles708 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Ever clicked on one of these w/out reading the small print?comp.png

Whilst these are excellent examples, neither of these would be a legitimate sign-up under the PSA Code of Practice, or under the law.

PSA would require you to be taken to a 'landing page' with a button labelled something like "Enter now for £3". After clicking this button you would then need to be shown a confirmation screen with a button labelled something like "confirm this charge to my phone account".

These examples may have been legitimate in the past, but they aren't now.

Most of these scams now relate to subscriptions and EE should be applauded for being the first network to protect consumers by requiring a two step authorisation with PIN for such subscriptions. This doesn't apply to one-off payment though. These rules began on 15th February this year, and the high profile cases on this forum all relate to subscriptions started prior to this date.

Legally, the following five elements must be present to constitute a contract:

1. An Offer
  2. An Acceptance
  3. Some Consideration
  4. An intention to create legal relations.
  5. The Capacity to contract.

Thus an unintentionally created contract is not legally binding on either side. Equally a contact entered in to by a minor will not be legally binding, despite what some of these companies may say. 

Deciding whether a contract was intentional or not would be a matter for the courts of course, but it is interesting that these companies always pay refunds (and costs if necessary) in order to avoid having to defend their practices in court.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.