by Krisj1 Investigator
Investigator

Santander online banking blocked by EE (not OTP related)

Ever since I moved to EE 4G broadband I have not been able to access Santander's online banking log-in.  The log on button which directs to retail.santander.co.uk and should show the page for your log-in credentials "took too long to respond" and fails.  If I activate a VPN tunnel from any location in the world, the log on page then loads fine and I can do what I need to do.  However this only works up until the point where a OTP code needs to be used.  The code gets sent out just fine, but the frames on the OTP page do not load correctly and there is no box for the OTP to be typed in to.  If I disconnect the VPN at the point and refresh the page, the OTP frames load properly so I can enter the code, but after pressing the submit button it takes you to a confirmation page but because you're no longer on the VPN, the page doesn't load.  It's a complete clusterf.... 

My suspicion is that this is an EE ipv6 problem as the VPN services are all ipv4 and every one of them works fine.

My set up is windows 8.1 desktop, unlimited EE 4G phone sim in a B525 broadband router.  Everything works fine except Santander log-in page.

I have tried with Chrome, Firefox (DoH enabled and disabled), IE.  Same problem.  Also tried with all extensions disabled and AV off.  Same problem.

I do not use the phone banking app as my phone is too ancient now.  

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Krisj1 Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Re: Santander online banking blocked by EE (not OTP related)

Found the issue.  Either EE is blocking access to Santander log-in on IPv6, or Santander is blocking EE.  I've no idea who is to blame.  Maybe someone here high up in EE technical team can contact someone equally high up at Santander to discuss the matter and work something out between them to fix the issue.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/ee-4g-why-wont-santander-online-banking-work.36285/

Short version : create new EE APN profile in router, set IP type to IPv4 only and set auth to auto, apply settings and Santander banking log-in now works fine.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Krisj1   Not waiting to say who’s at fault by why not ask Santander to upgrade to the lasted standard that is IPv6.  

by Krisj1 Investigator
Investigator

And how do you propose I do that?  You do realise that Santander is not some small one-man band business where you can talk to their IT guy about the issue, right?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Krisj1   you contact them and make them aware of the issue.  Because isn’t that what your doing with EE.

by Krisj1 Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Found the issue.  Either EE is blocking access to Santander log-in on IPv6, or Santander is blocking EE.  I've no idea who is to blame.  Maybe someone here high up in EE technical team can contact someone equally high up at Santander to discuss the matter and work something out between them to fix the issue.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/ee-4g-why-wont-santander-online-banking-work.36285/

Short version : create new EE APN profile in router, set IP type to IPv4 only and set auth to auto, apply settings and Santander banking log-in now works fine.

View solution in original post

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.