by Craigythorn Investigator
Investigator

Rural Scotland 4g+/LTE2 only and SLOW

Hi all,

I've just got an unlimited data contract with the intention of replacing my current Tooway satellite setup. However, although we are getting a strong 4g+/LTE2 signal, speeds are slow (3Mbps down) and ping is about 700ms.

The ping time would suggest to me that the local mast (postcode DG7 3UF) is on a satellite connection - is this likely to be the case?

Also, the only service available appears to be 4g+ standard 4g devices don't connect and there's no 3g or 2g coverage. Is that normal?

Given all the above I will probably have to cancel my new contract, fortunately still in the cooling off period 🙂

Cheers,

Charles

11 REPLIES 11
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: Rural Scotland 4g+/LTE2 only and SLOW

Hi @Craigythorn 

I will reply to this later today hopefully, just there's quite a lot to potentially discuss!

Thanks,

Peter

Investigator

Thanks Peter - looking forward to your thoughts.

Charles

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The site very near you (well, your postcode at least) is at "Cornharrow Estate Dalry" and it is satellite fed 1800MHz.

The satellite backhaul explains the latency and throughput at least. 

However, you would not get "4G+" off this and all 4G devices will be able to connect to it.

The only time there is usually a stark coverage difference between devices is with the extended range 4G, 800MHz, where devices supporting EE VoLTE are granted access and thereby gain greater coverage, whereas non-VoLTE devices cannot attach and lose out on coverage. 

What phone do you have out of interest? Might be able to use an app or inbuilt software to find out more as this is actually quite curious!

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Craigythorn managed to reconcile things now!

• Carsphairn, ESN0156, is a satellite 800MHz+1800MHz site
  • The satellite backhaul will lead to the high latency and low throughputs
  • The mast having 4G on two carriers (800MHz and 1800MHz) means many devices will display "4G+"
  • You must be scraping a signal from it, which explains the remaining behaviour you are experiencing - your non "4G+" device probably doesn't support VoLTE, so won't get access to the extended range 800MHz, while 1800MHz is too weak to use as a primary/sole carrier and therefore no service is found 
Investigator

Hi Peter,

The UDP sim has been tested in a Moto G4, Lumia 640LTE, Samsung Galaxy A50 and a TP-Link MR-6400 modem (which I was hoping to use!).

Only the A50 was able to connect and it showed LTE2/4G+ as the connection.

The other devices all work happily where a "normal" 4g signal is available, but the phones don't get 4g even when 100m from the mast.

Cheers,

Charles

Investigator

Thanks Peter - looks like I'm stuck with satellite for now!

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

If you could go into field test mode on the A50 by pressing *#0011# on the A50 and taking a screenshot and posting here it would help.

Also, if you are able to download an app like Cellmapper which can display an eNB value, that would also be helpful if you could screenshot and post. 

Investigator

OK, screenshots attached. Interestingly the A50 is showing LTE1 and 4G today.

Hope these help clear up the situation:

IMG-20191010-WA0000.jpgIMG-20191010-WA0001.jpg

Investigator

Pics not showing - I'll try that again:

IMG-20191010-WA0000.jpgIMG-20191010-WA0001.jpg

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hmmm Carsphairn is eNB 23118, perhaps you're using Cornharrow Estate in those screenshots. If you get screenshots with 4G+, that would be cool! 

Scottish ESN Sites.pngESN Sites

Investigator

We're less than a mile north of the Cornharrow mast, and in line of site apart from a few trees. There a some very big hills and about 6 miles between us and Carsphairn.

I'll try again when I can get my hands on the A50, later on or tomorrow, and see if the 4G+ shows up again.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions