by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Recommend a 4G LTE Router (not mobile hotspot)

Hi all,

Anyone out there using a 4G LTE Router like an Netgear Nighthawk (4G) or Asus 4G-AC55U etc. Im looking for an eternet / wireless based 4G LTE Router for EEs 4G broadband and im really not sure what to purchase and wondered if anyone had recommendations of ones that worked ok with EE's 4g network.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Recommend a 4G LTE Router (not mobile hotspot)

Hello @AHarMan I have the EE 4G Home router and I am happy with it. :):

http://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-as-you-go-mobile-broadband/4g-home-broadband-payg/details

by Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

I'd recommend the Huawei B315:

http://amzn.eu/gdb0up0

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I have used Draytek routers for many years now.

They do not have an integrated SIM slot, so for 4G you'd need to attach a 4G USB modem to the router's USB port - they do support that, and they are arguably the best home & office routers out there. 

I use a 2860Vn at home, and I have previously run business premises with 30+ stations on a 2850Vn, so they are robust devices. Lots of configuration options for load balancing (e.g. between DSL and 4G) and QoS, and they include home VPN server functionality.

Prodigious Contributor

@DonDino wrote:

I have used Draytek routers for many years now.

They do not have an integrated SIM slot, so for 4G you'd need to attach a 4G USB modem to the router's USB port - they do support that, and they are arguably the best home & office routers out there. 

I use a 2860Vn at home, and I have previously run business premises with 30+ stations on a 2850Vn, so they are robust devices. Lots of configuration options for load balancing (e.g. between DSL and 4G) and QoS, and they include home VPN server functionality.

Draytek routers are great, there's no question.

However, if I was using the router primarily for 4G access (as I do) I'd go for an embedded SIM slot every time. Dongles are notorious for suffering connection problems due to the tiny fixed antenna, and are generally too flaky to provide stable and reliable 4G in a home setting. Fine for backup connections and on the road, but otherwise not great.

If I wanted the flexibility and features of a Draytek, but with embedded 4G capability, I'd probably go for one of the Billion routers.

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

Hi all,

Thanks for the recommendations sorry for not following up sooner. Is anyone using the Netgear Nighthawk 7100 (4G version) at all ? its got mixed reviews on amazon but looks to offer higher 4G speeds?

I will follow up  on everyones suggestions and post back.

Thanks

Prodigious Contributor

Sorry, I can't provide any feedback on the Netgear I'm afraid.

As an aside, the 4G speeds themselves will be dictated in the main by the EE network itself  - coverage, capacity, connection quality etc... Better routers might be able to squeeze a few extra mbps out of poor connection, but none can really make a significant difference to a limited connection to the network.

The Netgear router will probably have very good wifi speeds, but to be honest, most routers wifi speeds will outstrip the 4G speed unless you're in a particularly fast area with little load on the mast.

Edit: Just had a quick look on Amazon. In the description it states that the Netgear's maximum 4G download speed is 150mbps, which is only Cat4, yet in the table it claims Cat6. I'd want to be certain it's Cat6 before I considered paying this for a 4G router. Bear in mind that the actual speeds in your area might be a fraction of this.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.