by gbdavid Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Reactivation of 4GEE Home Router (adding new line) not possible

I bought a 4GEE Home Router and paid about £180 (including the £100 device fee so that I could have a 30days only contract). This was sometime in August 2018. I used the router for about 2 months and then cancelled the service. 

I was hoping that having invested the £100 in the device, and it being still actively used by EE to offer Home broadband plans using the 4G network, I would be able to come to EE anytime again and reactivate the router with a new line (just the same way you would if you cancel your plan with a phone and then come back to EE and add a new line/sim to it)...

I just found out that the 4GEE Home Router plans which are only available for the Home Router, cannot be sold to pre-owners of the Home router, and are only available to new users that purchase new Home Routers along with the plan (thus paying the £100 every time they would like to get the device/plan again, or getting a 18month contract)... Why is this nonesense happening?

The 4GEE Home Router is a device that was created excusively for EE, it has EE firmware and it works for EE plans... and yes you can use traditional sim plans with tiny bit of data (up to 50GB as opposed to the 500GB that the Home router can offer), so what is the point of having a Home Router if it can't be of any use after you cancel the plan?, why would EE make a device like this with such a high price tag.... disposable?

This is extremely annoying and pointless!

If EE is so cautious about their precious Home Router plans, which they don't want people to have their sim extracted and installed in other devices... they could easily put a lock in their system/sim so that when it joins the network it matches the correct device MAC/IMEI etc, it couldn't be simpler... 

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Reactivation of 4GEE Home Router (adding new line) not possible

@gbdavid. Because that’s how EE want to sell the package.  If you could just get this SIM card just to reactive the router and start using it again what’s to stop someone from putting it a phone ? EE didn’t create this data plan to be used in a phone/ tablet and are not going to start offering it with out the router also.   

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What about http://add-on.ee.co.uk/purchase ? Does that still work? Does that offer you new plans appropriate to the Home Router?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
Established Contributor

@Chris_B, The current system doesn't stop a new user from buying the device, and removing the sim card then placing it in a more portable device (e.g. an iPad), and going around with it... So they migh as well just place assurances and policies so returning users can bring their existing devices to the shop to verify they do have the device to reactivate it (add new line) / or use other ways to achieve this...

Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX, This doesn't work if you have cancelled the service and the sim card has been deactivated. You can only add a new line which is not possible within the range of 4GEE Home Router exisiting plans

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@gbdavid: Was just hoping that altho' the plan was cancelled the SIM would be still live for free comms like querying the internal EE network & maybe 150 texts.

The MBB price lists used to have 2 sets of prices for 4GEE Home Plans:

1. The first for what came with the purchased device.
  2. The other for subsequent plans that can be purchased.

But no longer.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@gbdavid  Yes and you’ll of purchased the router also as that’s part of the package. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's a bit of white elephant, isn't it? You buy the router incl. a data plan but once you cancel the plan the device itself becomes useless with EE. Yet you haven't cancelled the device itself; you still own it. Of course you can always get a suitable & sufficient data plan from another network once you have unlocked it.

A most peculiar business model on the part of EE. Either stay on an ongoing contract or end up with a brick almost as far as EE is concerned.

Of course you could buy another 4GEE Home Router on an 18-month contract with no upfront fee but monthly fees to pay for the plan & then bin 1 of them

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.