by mydigia Investigator
Investigator

Re: VOIP not working on EE 4g

I too am having issues with EE 4G.

I just switched from Vodafone.

My CISCO IPSec VPN + my VoIP business app was just working fine.

Tonight, I switched to EE and only switched the SIM on the same exact phone that everything was working on.

VPN to work doesn't work anymore, VOIP app doesn't work.

(L2TP VPN seems to work - but that doesn't solve my issue)

Girl on the customer service on the phone was genuine to show she cares and it was more of a training call than anything (which is fine, not everyone is technical), I was on a very long hold while she spoke to Level 2 and nothing they could help me or do to solve my problem.

Content lock was set to Moderate, switched it off, restarted phone, still none of the two working (VPN/VOIP).

I have spent the past couple of hours trying to get this working and it's been impossible.

I have tried all sorts of combination, using STUN, using ICE, TCP or UDP... Main issue: One way audio and not being able to hear the other side.

I am an IT Consultant and also manage the VOIP (SIP & Asterisk) server on the other side. The connection is not even coming across to the other side in some cases.

I appreciate that due to Carrier Grade NAT on IPv4 it is not exactly the easiest thing to get these sorted for EE customers, but the solution being ALG or something else, why is it that it worked on Vodafone?

At the end of the day, that's all I care that without any of this faff it all was just working on Vodafone. I switched for other reasons due to work phone and etc.

Quite disappointed and desperate to find a solution as I like EE's coverage here and abroad due to their roaming contracts, otherwise, thanks to my 30-day contract (yea I am not naive to commit to long-term without knowing it will all work) I will cancel and switch back to Vodafone.

Any advice is appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10
by mydigia Investigator
Investigator

Re: VOIP and EE 4G broadband

anyone found a solution to this VOIP connectivity problem?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@mydigia: What device is the EE SIM in?

Have you checked whether the VoIP service needs ports opened & have you port forwarded them? I also seem to remember trying to reverse the "SIP ALG" setting.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by mydigia Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX wrote:

@mydigia: What device is the EE SIM in?

Have you checked whether the VoIP service needs ports opened & have you port forwarded them? I also seem to remember trying to reverse the "SIP ALG" setting.

I am on an iPhone XS Max.

I am not sure what you mean with opening ports and SIP ALG setting. I am connecting from my phone using my VoIP application to my VoIP server that I manage, and the server-side is setup correctly.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry, what I said applies to routers and I saw you also posted under 4GEE Broadband  Please ignore it 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @mydigia

Are you aware if the technical team raised a ticket for this?

Did they advise anything further?

Speak soon, Katie 🙂

by

Re: VOIP and EE 4G broadband

Good Morning @mydigia

I have responded to your latest comment in this thread

Katie 🙂

by mydigia Investigator
Investigator

@Katie_B 

Hi Katie,

They didn't raise anything.

I am happy to help and get to the bottom of this issue in any way I can, I don't prefer to switch to Vodafone, but this is my work and puts bread on my table, I will switch if I can't solve the issue anytime soon.

I was on a very long hold, apparently the girl from Customer Services team spoke to Level 2, she said she will (out of her own interest as she's eager to learn) do some research and got my details and she will let me know if she comes across anything interesting, but I work with CS teams all the time, that's a line to accommodate and sympathize and doesn't gaurantee/mean much.

by

Thank you for confirming this @mydigia

I understand your frustration and urgency to get this working. 

Do you know if the app you are using successfully works for others on the same network?

What was advised by the Level 2 department?

Katie 🙂

by mydigia Investigator
Investigator

Hi ,

Thanks for your reply.

It doesn't work, my fiance has got the same app and on EE, and she has exactly the same issue too..

I also contacted the developers of the app (the app is an intermediary between my phone and my voip server on the cloud) and they suggested a few tweaks, none of which helped.

I also tried another 3 apps (they all use SIP protocol) and they all have the same issues. Problems with registering on my server, and when they register (with a lot of tweaks and hacks), the audio is one-way and I can't hear the other side.

This issue is purely ALG/firewall/NAT setup on EE 4G Mobile Broadband..

By the way, the issue is not just VoIP. Let me clarify, my work CISCO IPSec VPN also doesn't work and that works on Vodafone/Wifi/other phone as well. This is 100% a problem with EE's underlaying 4G network.

Level 2 advice was next to rubbish to be honest: "we're not blocking anything, we can't do much/anything and along those lines..." the girl said she doesn't have a way to diagnose or escalate this, if I understood well.

Reading these forums, I see many other people have the same issue - maybe not everyone is as technical as this is not a typical general users' problem, but certainly professional like myself are going away from your network.

I have my PAC code, if this thread takes me nowhere, I am going by a Vodafone shop and getting this sorted asap.

More technical info:

SIP doesn't work on EE, both TCP and UDP ports 5060 fail to register on the server, and when they do, audio (tried over multiple codecs, including u-law/a-law/g.729/opus/gsm does not find its way back to the handset.) Using STUN server in the middle doesn't solve it as well, making sure RTP audio ports are correct or changing them doesn't do anything. Use of different RPORT options, Symmetric NAT, ICE, none has worked for me.

VPN IPSec protocol (my endpoint server is Fortinet, but they all use CISCO IPSec really) doesn't work and the error on iPhone XS Max was "Negotiation with the VPN server failed." which reading between line, is kind of aligned with SIP failing to register on my asterisk server.

Same exact VPN account with same exact settings work on my other iPhone with Vodafone/Sky Broadband.

VPN on L2TP protocol works fine, but my work VPN doesn't use that I need that to work.

Hope this helps, probably not me, but if someone from EE cared to actually bother and get this resolved on their 4G network.

by ianpugh Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I went through months of the same problem. After various poor attempts to deflect the issue by technical support (IPV6, bad software, broken sim, trying on Android phones, blaming the VOIP provider) I finally got an admission it just does not work.

I think it was when I told them the same phone with the same sim with same software worked when I roamed abroad made them realise they had no argument left.

I was then told it was tough luck as they didn't promise to support VOIP explicitly. I said that on a business account, VOIP should be a given and that their agrument was akin to saying that if YouTube didn't work on ee's network it wasn't their problem either. 

Anyway, I got a 50% discount on buying myself out of the contract. O2 and Three work perfectly on VOIP so if it's an issue I suggest you vote with your feet.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.