by billatbirchwood
Explorer

Re: Cheating on data usage

My contract says I have 500mb of data.

A very tiny amount of data I know but I do have access to free WiFi 7 days a week so don't need that much.

Yet when I reach 220mb my data is cut off and then I'm bombarded with the ee 150 e-mail sight that wants me to buy more data at an extravagant cost.

I really believe there's a massive con on the the go here.

I'm by no way internet dependent so can afford to let ee go jam their sales foot in another door but "hey" what about the contract I signed up for.

It sounds like I'm not the only victim of this data fraud and I feel so sorry for those in the community who's lives and perhaps livelihoods depend on data access.

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@billatbirchwood . Is it your EE account that says you've use 220meg of data or your device?  if it's the device it'll not be accurate and it'll only be a guide to go by. 

When this happens again can you text BALANCE to 150 as it  will reply back with what you have left. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @billatbirchwood

Welcome to the community. 

Could you confirm if it is on your My EE account that it says you have 220MB remaining?

What does it show on the add-on status checker?

Chris

by billatbirchwood
Explorer

Chris.

It would appear you're encouraging me to buy more data.

That was the whole reason behind my argument.

My samsung phone informs me that I have used 220mb of my 500mb allowance and yet ee text to tell me the 500mb has been used up and of course why don't I purchase more data at extra cost outside my existing contract.

My phone was part of the contract.

Have I then been sold faulty merchandise that is incapable of registering data usage?

I'll be honest, there is a far bigger community outside the ee hub and no-one in that community are having these problems, other than the ee users who are experiencing this false data reading regardless of the make and model of phone.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@billatbirchwood your device or any device does bot record every single data use.  There will always be a discrepancy. 

You havent got a faulty device.

You are not being cheated out of data.

500mb is a very small amount of data these days.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @billatbirchwood

Thanks for coming back to us.

The data shown within your device settings is an estimate and may vary slightly to your overall usage in your My EE account.

You will be able to see which apps are using the most data within the settings.

You can find information on data usage on our post How much data am I using on EE?

Leanne 🙂

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hiya!

My samsung phone informs me that I have used 220mb

As mentioned by others, this does not mean you've *actually* used 220MB, it's likely the figure will be higher. Your phone's counter may not be accurate.

Have I then been sold faulty merchandise that is incapable of registering data usage?

Not necessarily. It just may not catch all apps that use data and/or all the time.

However, if you would like to perform some tests and provide evidence that you have indeed used X amount of data and EE says you have used Y, that will be very interesting to see.

For example, you can disable internet access to everything except your browser, and then download a specific file from a specific website. Do that twice - once on Wifi on a router that records data usage, and once on mobile data. Then compare what the router reported with that EE reported. There are many more ways of conducting such experiments, this is just one suggestion.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.