by pmbsa Investigator
Investigator

Pulse Secure VPN disconnects after 20 minutes

Hi, I have an intermittant issue when using a VPN provided by the company I am on contract with called Pulse Secure. Sometimes it works seamlessly but on other days (like today) I get kicked off every 20 minutes or so. Initially I believed it to be an issue on there end but after some investigating by both their IT department and on my end we have concluded the issue is probably/most probably on the EE network. (the issue is similar in nature to this topic https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4G-and-mobile-data/Network-Drop-VPN-on-4G-every-20mins-few-mins/td-p/5...).

I am told by their IT department that about every 17 minutes the VPN software will attempt to swap a new "secret Key" over the wire. If that negotiation fails for any reason I am kicked off the network. On a good day I can go without a single failure but on a day like today I will get kicked off absolutly avery 20 minutes or so. I have tried soft reboot of the router and numerous hard reboots and it makes no difference. Is there anything you can recommend to help diagnose the problem?

5 REPLIES 5
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Pulse Secure VPN disconnects after 20 minutes

Hi @pmbsa,

Welcome to the EE Community. Smiley Happy

Are you only experiencing this issue in one location or everywhere?

Which router are you using?

Thanks

James

by pmbsa Investigator
Investigator

Hi James, thanks for getting back to me.

I believe its this location but I am not 100% sure (I am roaming in France at the minute) . I tend to use it alot more for work when I am out here so I notice it.

The router is a TP-Link TL-MR6400 but its worth mentioning I have experienced the same symptoms using my EE yellow mobile hotspot and also off the back of a mobile phone (there has been a load of testing! :D).

by

Hi @pmbsa,

I'd recommend having a chat with our Tech Care Team to see if they can diagnose the issue.

If you are a pay monthly customer you can chat with them online by logging in to My EE.

Hope this helps.

James

by pmbsa Investigator
Investigator

I Jamie, it occured to me over night that because I am roaming it could simply be the service provider the router chooses when it starts  up (for stability I reboot the router every night, oh the irony). It looks like the problem is actually with Orange Mobile from what I can tell. When I get an IP provided by Orange I have problems but when I get an IP provided by say T-Mobile it all works fine. Seems like a feature that these routers need to introduce is the ability to choose a provider rather than always just use an automatic selection. I will  have a chat with TP-Link anyway just to see if I am missing something.

Hopefully this will help somebody else in future though.

by

Good Morning @pmbsa

Thanks for coming back and sharing this with us!

I am positive this will help someone in the future, please let us know what happens when you speak with TP-Link. 

Katie 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.