by Brotherpug Investigator
Investigator

Potential move to EE 4g home broadband. Thoughts and questions.

I'm in Outer Hebrides. Up to now forced to use satellite BB (50Gb/month allowance, £75/month, top-up = £10/Gb). So you understand why I'm open to other options.
An EE mast has recently gone up near us (1 Km or so), we have line of sight so should be OK. Thinking of changing to EE 4g for home use.

Current set-up is satellite modem attached to router that has wireless disabled and three ethernet cables that run to wireless access points in different parts of the property.
Please confirm or refute, but I don't think the 4GEE router supplied by EE will work with this configuration because there's only one ethernet port and it can't be configured to act as a bridge. So I believe there's no point in having it, or going for the home 4g plan; I might as well have a sim only data plan (£40 for 50Gb/month) and buy my own router (plus aerial etc). Does that sound like it should work?
Any idea how much it would cost for supplemental data if the 50Gb were used up? If the  figure's on the EE website, it's buried too deep for me to find.
Any suggestions for a decent router I could use?

Apologies if that was long, thanks for reading it.

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Potential move to EE 4g home broadband. Thoughts and questions.

Hi, @Brotherpug

Unless you have a device which can receive EE network, my recommendation would be to get an EE PAYG SIM and try out their network first. No point incurring and agreeing a contract when the service doesn't meet your needs.

If it does then look at third party 4G routers if the ones on EE don't meet your needs. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Brotherpug Investigator
Investigator

Thanks. Yes, testing the network first is essential. Good point.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Whilst EE are installing quite a few new masts, popentailly not all of them will be for consumer use and will only be for the new ESN (Emergancy service network) EE are currently building.

EE are being very very coy about the exact number of these ‘new’ masts that consumers will actually get access to so it’s well worth you testing using a PAYG SIM first as already mentioned.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

As others said, first test EE's network at the property.

If that goes well, you can use EE's router as you can connect its ethernet port to a switch that will give you additional ethernet ports to connect your APs to.

Of course you can also use any other router with a WAN internet port, you would just connect the ethernet port of the EE router to the WAN port of the other router, and then the latter would act as you main router (and the EE box would basically be your 'modem').

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.