by thattechyguy
Explorer

Port 554 / rtsp now seems to be blocked over the 4G?

Hello,

I have a CCTV system camera set up at home which is set up to stream to a mobile iOS app via port forwarding on ports 554, 80 & 8000 on my home router (Virgin). This works within the LAN perfectly and did used to work over the EE 4G network but all of a sudden, now bizzarely, this is now no longer the case.

I believe it is a case of EE blocking something as when I use a VPN on the same iOS device, the stream works as expected. Others on other networks (with an iPhone and the same app) can view this fine.

Can anyone advise what the issue is here?

Kind regards,

3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Port 554 / rtsp now seems to be blocked over the 4G?

EE does not block any ports. You are up against a limitation of EE's mobile network. The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by thattechyguy
Explorer

Any ideas why it used to work and then all of a sudden stopped?

I can only access via a VPN which suggests that something has changed on EE's end as the set up has stayed the same for me and others who are not on the EE network can see the stream fine, by using the same app and login details without a VPN.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Not really! It might be something to do with IPv4 vs. IPv6.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.