by podgee421 Investigator
Investigator

Poor signal 4G

I have reluctantly moved to EE as I purchased a 2nd hand EE phone, which has been unlocked BUT will only work with EE cards. So, forced to change I am now with EE and hate it.  The signal on my phone is 1 notch of signal bar and that is only 90% of the time. Other 10% I have nothing.  So disappointed I am thinking of selling the phone and getting a new "unlocked" one and going back to my old provided Giff Gaff who are brilliant.  UNLESS someone can help me?  EE insist the phone is unlocked so no idea why I can only use EE cards, signal is a nightmare.

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Poor signal 4G

Hi @podgee421 

You can check EE network status here. The amount of bars is irrelevant to the quality of the signal, which is also based upon the phone radio and antenna. 

If you want to unlock your second hand device, then instructions can be found on this link. EE won't unlock devices which are less than 6 months into their contract. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

It can't be unlocked if it only works with EE SIMs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @podgee421

I am sorry to hear this.

Is the signal showing one bar in all areas?

Do we have any problems showing on our Network Status Checker?

What phone are you using?

Hope to hear back from you soon 🙂

Leanne.

Highlighted
Investigator

Yes network status is fine...what's the point of the signal bars then 😂.  The phone is 11 months old, was an EE phone, EE unlocked it but it won't work with any SIM other than EE

Investigator

Yes one bar in all areas, it is an iPhone x, network status is fine.  Maybe it's just the phone as I can only use EE SIM in it even though EE has unlocked it

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @podgee421

Thanks for coming back to me.

Have you spoken to us to see if the phone has been unlocked?

You can call us on 0800 956 6000 and we will be able to check this for you.

Does the EE SIM show full signal in any other phone?

Leanne.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Then it can't have been unlocked by EE. Were you told this by the seller? Sounds like it was misrepresented to you.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Signal bars are pretty meaningless actually! You can have max bars and be unable to do anything at all or have a flicker of one bar and happily watch Ultra HD!

Apart from the one bar of signal, do you have any problems using EE, such as calls failing @podgee421 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.