by Robertino Investigator
Investigator

Phone with no B20 (800 DD) - how it will affect usage?

Hello EE support,

I`m now on Galaxy S7 and looking to change phone. Phone I`m looking at supports following bands:

FDD-LTE:

B1 - 2100
B2 - 1900 PCS
B3 - 1800+
B4 - 1700/2100 AWS 1
B5 - 850
B7 - 2600
B8 - 900

TD-LTE:

B38 - TD 2600
B39 - TD 1900+
B40 - TD 2300
B41 - TD 2500

Doesn`t support HSPA+ and LTE-A.

EE uses B3, B7 and B20.

As you can see there is no band 20 (800 DD), which is used by EE for 4G, I would only have B7 (2600) and B3(1800+). What would this mean in every day use? No 4g signal? Very weak signal/slow 4g browsing? No reception between tall building in central London? How loosing B20 would affect voice calls? Is it even used for voice calls?

I`m trying to understand if I`m willing to sacrify some network quality for a better phone. Thanks.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Re: Phone with no B20 (800 DD) - how it will affect usage?

Hello @Robertino the majority of EE 4G is 1800. 800 is mainly used in rural areas as it has better coverage and deeper indoor penetration than 1800 but slower speeds. You should not notice much of a difference as only certain accounts (pay monthly) have access to 800. Here is a link containing more information:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/archive/page/1/thread-id/125402

🙂

10 REPLIES 10
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Hello @Robertino the majority of EE 4G is 1800. 800 is mainly used in rural areas as it has better coverage and deeper indoor penetration than 1800 but slower speeds. You should not notice much of a difference as only certain accounts (pay monthly) have access to 800. Here is a link containing more information:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/archive/page/1/thread-id/125402

🙂

by
EE Employee

Hi @Robertino and welcome to the community.

On the back of the advice @Profile closed has provided, I wonder if @Peter_C can assist with this one.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

To add, I live in London, therefore coverage in rural/remote locations does not worry me.  I need building peneteration signal strenght. That EE link explained 800 very well. Any more replies welcome.

by
EE Employee

@Robertino,

Glad the information which @Profile closed has provided was useful.

Our mast expert @Peter_C will be able to assist with further questions you may have.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

I can also add that I make and receive just few phone calls or texts every day, so not heavy voice user and not critical for me, I mainly use data/browse web using about 5GB per month.

by
EE Employee

Hi @Robertino,

Out of curiosity, which phone were you going for?

Many thanks,

Lee

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Thanks Lee for tagging me in this.

800MHz 4G is predominantly used to improve coverage in low density rural areas. However, there is some present in urban areas. To check whether you are currently benefitting from 800MHz, use the field test mode on your S7 by dialling *#0011# and looking for 'Band:20 BW: 5MHz' on the second line of text when in buildings and/or your place of work. 

By going for a handset not sold for the UK market, you are also extremely unlikely to be able benefit from EE services like VoLTE and WiFi calling.

A final thing to mention is to ensure the device supports GSM 1800MHz and UMTS 2100MHz for use of EE 2G/3G and calling.

by
EE Employee

Investigator

LEE:

Mi Mix

by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @Robertino

I will make sure @Lee_H gets this message.

I hope all the help you have been given by @Profile closed and @Peter_C has been a big help to you.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.