by mister_johnn Contributor
Contributor

Phone signal and data connection in Surbiton?

For the last few days I can't use my phone around home (Surbiton) as I can't call anyone or have enough signal for data connection, what is happening? Had no issues in this area for a few years. 

21 REPLIES 21
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Phone signal and data connection in Surbiton?

Hi @mister_johnn

Welcome to the community. Sorry to hear that you're having some problems with your signal.

Please check your area on our network status checker to see if we're aware of any problems.

If there's nothing listed, you can report a problem on there too, so our network team can investigate it.

Chris

by johnsmith1234 Investigator
Investigator

There is a problem yes. It has been happening since 30th September / 1st October...

No data or calls whatsoever in the whole central surbiton area since and the problem is still ongoing.

Apparently the problem cannot be currently fixed because health and safety wont sign off on the mast site before they can get an engineer out to look at the problem.

I have been told that the current fix date could be by the 12th November!

Unbelievable...

Highlighted
by

Hi @johnSmith

Thanks for coming to the community and providing this information. 

Have you been registered for updates?

Do you have a WiFi connection which will allow you to use WiFi Calling?

Katie 🙂

by Dred0702

I've noticed this too. Zero signal and data. Incredibly frustrating. Especially when trying to organise things with the family.

@johnsmith1234 how did you get info about the mast? Makes sense but would have been good to get this from EE direct. Very poor customer service.

I think Surbiton users should be compensated for being in the dark about this engineering work. Almost 2 months with no network?!

Contributor

Hi Katie,

I have it enabled, but it just not working for me. Most of the time I have to use WhatsApp and use the internet from home by Wi-Fi or go towards Chessington, Kingston or Thames Ditton to make a call as not all my contacts are using WhatsApp or other social media apps.

It was nice from EE to send a message and say that they have an issue and they are working on a fix, rather than us (the customers) to chase what's happening and try to find a workaround until it is fixed. I have activated the EE update and received a message today saying that the masts need further investigation and the following update will be on 29 October.

I hope EE will have a compensation program for everyone affected as this is very frustrating and I need both phone and data signal to work at home and around due to my job.

johnsmith1234 ... 12 November? Nooooooooo! 😞

Dred0702 ... The compensation should be nice. Other networks gave compensation when issues occurred!

by

Thanks for getting back to me @mister_johnn

Finger's crossed it's not much longer. 

What is happening when you try to use WiFi Calling?

Katie 🙂

Investigator

@mister_johnnYep, really not good enough from EE. One mast covering entire area?! If I look at other masts in surbiton area from other networks there seems to be several (I might be wrong that there is only one mast from EE but if so, this is ridiculous and they should fix the problem as matter of priority)...most likely too busy focusing on 5g rollout to care. Someone from EE customer services actually told me that if you don't like you can leave the network and they will perhaps waive early contract exit fees - dreadful...

@Dred0702I spoke to EE executive complaints team

by Chris8williams8

Just moved to Surbiton and both me and partner are with ee and have no phone signal.

As per messages above, can EE representative give informative updates on what is happening and when it will be fixed?

Thanks to others for explaining

by

Good Morning and welcome to the community @Chris8williams8

If you would like to register for updates please visit the Network Status Checker

I would also recommend using WiFi Calling whilst this issue is being resolved. 

Katie 🙂

by Philsmith87

Sadly it's been going on for about 2 months. They keep telling me that they are waiting for BT to fix the mast. 

Call them up or go through live chat in your account and complain, sadly it won't fix problem but they will compensate you with free month or two depending how long you been suffering. 

by Mar1506
Visitor

Thanks - this is just what I needed to say bye bye to EE. I’ll switch to Vodafone. 

Investigator

I switched from o2 to ee, initially good in surbiton but the last 3 months have been awful and then to add this saga for the last two weeks with no signal/data whatsoever and the way they have handled it is utterly sh*te...all they say is use "Wi-Fi" calling blah blah blah. Bottom line is they don't care, and yes you should switch.

by

Hi all.

Thanks for your patience while this is being investigated.

As @Katie_B said earlier, if you sign up for updates on the network status checker, if you haven't already. We'll send you updates when we have them.

If you would like more information or to discuss compensation, I recommend speaking to our Technical Support team.

Thanks again.

Chris

by Fwellard

Absolutely agree. I can barely take calls or get network / data which is making things really difficult. I'll be switching network if this doesn't change soon. 

by X-man

I contacted EE on Friday (online chat in the network status page) - this was the second chat in 2 weeks and the advisor was not able to give any repair ETA - he did however process a £20 credit to my next bill.

For those looking to move to other networks - note that ThreeUK is also having issues in the area - (source: 3uk network coverage website for Surbiton station KT6 4PE) - it may be that they are sharing the mast?. 

If you are still under contract and unable to wait, send an email to the complaints department and see how they could help - see if an early release is possible.

Try any sim before you move...

by roblex

In Long Ditton for some reason the coverage has always been pretty dreadful for all networks, not just EE.

I switched from O2/Giffgaff to EE because one of us has a contract and we were able to get an EE Signal Box, which plugs into the broadband and makes a 3G signal work for EE in the house. So EE phones work in the house, but not outside, or in Surbiton Town.

Difficult to get the Signal Box from EE though.

When I last enquired about Wifi Calling, they only seem to offer it on an expensive contract with a few models of EE branded handsets. They don't seem to offer it on PAYG. Neither do they offer call diversion feature to PAYG customers to divert on unreachable, to another number. (My phone has two SIM slots so I could set up a divert on unreachable from one to the other, but that doesn't work with EE PAYG...)

So I guess we just have to wait for it to be fixed....

by

Hi @roblex

WiFi calling is available on all EE contracts, including SIM only. There are a wide range of phones that can use it, see them on our WiFi calling help page.

Chris

Contributor

Update: The problem near KT6 6SN has now been fixed, we recommend you restart your device. If you have already done this and are still having problems, please call us on 150.

Hurray! 😊 

by

That's great news @mister_johnn

Thanks for the update. 🙂

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.