by tetractius
Explorer

Persistent error in signing in to EE London Tube Wifi after contract upgrade

After a contract upgrade to EE and I am no longer able to login in the EE London Tube Wifi since 4 days.

I tried to reset the password several time sending 'EEWIFI' to 9527 but the new password keeps on getting the following error:

https://db.tt/djfkazPTDE
"Sorry, we've encountered an error and you have not been signed in"
and after trying to reset multiple time in a row I also get blocked:
https://db.tt/gAnxDamqwp

I also tried to remove the London Wifi add-on from my ee.co.uk account profile and waited 24 hours as suggested as valid solution at 
https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4G-and-mobile-data/Error-with-signing-up-to-EE-London-Underground-WiFi...

But it does not help either. Do you know anything else that I can try to do? Is there a technical support for this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by tetractius
Explorer
Solution

Re: Persistent error in signing in to EE London Tube Wifi after contract upgrade

Hi Lee,

Why checking on my account, I caught the opportunity to get in the chat and I was redirected to the tech support.

There I was explained that I should no longer connect to the Virgin London WIFI access point while I am in the tube stations. This is no longer the procedure. It still works for old customer, but since I upgraded contract I should have now followed the new procedure which is now to connect to the "EE WiFi-Auto" and a chenge the main setting for the EAP method from PEAP to SIM as shown on https://goo.gl/images/ye1hz6. This will connect without the need of a password.

This is still not mentioed clearly in http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/wifi-and-tethering/wifi-on-the-underground where both possibiies, Virgin Media WiFi and EE WiFi-Auto, are still documented as valid. But the latter is no longer valid if you are a new customer or you just upgraded contract, according to the tecnical support

Still remain unclear actually for the following mentioed case:

"Please note – if the EAP method SIM isn’t available on your Android device, unfortunately your phone or tablet isn’t compatible with the EE WiFi-Auto network. However, you can still access Virgin Media WiFi."

In which you probably still need to contact technical support.

From my side I wasn't scanning the tube network from ages, so I was not caught by the doubt of the trying the new access point.

The problem is now solved. 

Thanks for your help!!

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Persistent error in signing in to EE London Tube Wifi after contract upgrade

@tetractius   Does your new contract to allow you to use the Wi-Fi on the underground ?     What does your account say when you look in add-ons ? 

by
EE Employee

Good afternoon,

Thank you for coming here and letting us know that your London underground is not working.

We have raised this with our support teams who are looking into this.

We will keep you updated as soon as we know more.

Thanks, Lee

by tetractius
Explorer
Solution

Hi Lee,

Why checking on my account, I caught the opportunity to get in the chat and I was redirected to the tech support.

There I was explained that I should no longer connect to the Virgin London WIFI access point while I am in the tube stations. This is no longer the procedure. It still works for old customer, but since I upgraded contract I should have now followed the new procedure which is now to connect to the "EE WiFi-Auto" and a chenge the main setting for the EAP method from PEAP to SIM as shown on https://goo.gl/images/ye1hz6. This will connect without the need of a password.

This is still not mentioed clearly in http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/wifi-and-tethering/wifi-on-the-underground where both possibiies, Virgin Media WiFi and EE WiFi-Auto, are still documented as valid. But the latter is no longer valid if you are a new customer or you just upgraded contract, according to the tecnical support

Still remain unclear actually for the following mentioed case:

"Please note – if the EAP method SIM isn’t available on your Android device, unfortunately your phone or tablet isn’t compatible with the EE WiFi-Auto network. However, you can still access Virgin Media WiFi."

In which you probably still need to contact technical support.

From my side I wasn't scanning the tube network from ages, so I was not caught by the doubt of the trying the new access point.

The problem is now solved. 

Thanks for your help!!

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @tetractius

spot_prize_alert (1).png

Thank you for sharing this valuable information and we will certainly look at updating the help page. I'm sure this will help anyone with a similar query.

Because I loved the help you gave today, I’d love to treat you to dinner on us.

I’m going to send you a private message – please reply to that message with your address details so that I can pop a restaurant voucher in the post.

Keep up the great work – it’s the people here who make this community a great place to be – and enjoy your meal out!

Many thanks Leanne 🙂

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

I can't see EE removing one of the options though, I'm not sure tech support were correct here. There has to be an alternative in case EAP is not possible surely?

by johnno_uk Investigator
Investigator

Certainly if the online documenation states that the service allows tablets and laptops etc (devices without the SIM in them) to use a username (your phone number) and a password then this should indeed be possible.

It would be a breach of contract for EE to advertise that a service worked a certain way before it was taken out and then to explain later that it did not include the ability to connect devices other than the handset with the SIM in it.

It's worth pointing out that since new contracts (like mine) are pre-registered for this service, sending "EEWifi" to 9527 in order to enable the service and get a password simply doesn't work since the service is already enabled.

On speaking to customer service to get this resolved, they said that:

1) They'll disable the service

2) I wait 24 hours

3) I send "EEWifi" to 9527 in order to both re-enable the service and get hold of a password that I can use with the "Virgin Media Wifi" SSID on my other devices without a SIM in them.

I'll see tomorrow if this all works.  However if the service is pre-registered as it is now, then I should have simply received a text message with the password for it when I first put the SIM into my new phone just like I did for all the other addons such as BT Sport and Apple Music.

Whomever is the product manager for this add on, needs to get a text added to the welcome/help bundle of messages that customers get when they take out a new contract.

I'm also in the process of porting my number from O2 to EE and I expect that most of my addons like this will go wrong somehow once my number changes, but perhaps I'll be pleasently surprised.

by johnno_uk Investigator
Investigator

I can confirm that for new customers to get their password to use the network "Virgin Media Wifi" SSID they must go through the process described in my post above.

It was just over 24 hours later that I got the following text message:

"Great news, you can now use WiFi on the tube. You'll automatically connect to EE WiFi-Auto. If not, use your username [PHONE NUMBER] and password [REDCATED] to connect to Virgin Media WiFi"

I was able to test that I can connect to both the "EE WiFi-Auto" network with SIM authentication and also to the "Virgin Media Wifi" network with the username and password found in the text message.  I didn't try from a device other than my phone but I'm pretty such that my laptop/tablet will work on the "Virgin Media Wifi" network now.

Note that in the 24 hour or so wait period, the service was off adn I couldn't use the "EE Wifi-Auto" network until after I got the text above despite being able to use it from the get go.

tl;dr - The solution is to switch off and back on again.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.