by Wildie Established Contributor
Established Contributor

PAYG service exclusions

I have read with great interest the debate about 4G 800 rollout and remain a little unclear about what I could get if I move to EE from 3 where I have signal availability issues in two  key destinations and generally in city buildings.

EE PAYG seems to cover my needs but I would appreciate clarification as to the availability   of service on Band 20 spectrum for PAYG (ignoring handset capabilities).

Which of the following are true?

PAYG customers cannot use wifi calling.

PAYG customers cannot use VOLTE.

PAYG customers cannot use 800 frequency for any purpose.

I would also welcome comment on whether any exclusions are policy or current technical constraints.

TIA, Wildie, Manchester

(First phone Vodafone NEC P100 followed by Orange MR30)

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: PAYG service exclusions

Hi,  

There are a number of threads on this topic such as the sticky thread in the forum you have posted.  

At this time the services you have asked about are not available available for PAYG customers however this doesn't mean they will never be available and maybe in the future EE will make the available to PAYG customers and those who own handsets which don't run EE firmware. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Hi,  

There are a number of threads on this topic such as the sticky thread in the forum you have posted.  

At this time the services you have asked about are not available available for PAYG customers however this doesn't mean they will never be available and maybe in the future EE will make the available to PAYG customers and those who own handsets which don't run EE firmware. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Cheers Northerner, it was reading the whole thread late at night that blinded me to the content of the OP.

I see the members of Cellmapper.net have now detected 800 signal from 3 in the last 2 months near my gym. I have been unable to attend lately so I might get a pleasant surprise next visit. 

Thank you for your prompt and concise response.

by Snipe717 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@Wildie I am afraid that EE do not seem to like PAYG customers.

I sincerely hope that, with messages like this keep popping up, showing that both potential customers and existing customers, will not be forced to change their preference and move to a contract in order to benefit from a usable indoor coverage, but rather swtich network to one which does provide it's PAYG customers with an equal coverage, ultimately EE will see the light and begin focusing on ALL customers being able to use their smartphones whilst indoors.

Let's hope!!

Their preoccupation with speed seems to be driving them away from rolling out too much 4G800, they prioritise high speeds over actually being able to use your phone at all.

Established Contributor

Hi @Snipe717

There are other restrictions even if you take a contract. I compared the ways of contracting for an iPhone 7+. The SIMO plus buy phone outright totals about £140 less than a 24 month contract with phone. You can only get the top speed on SIMO if you take the 25GB £26 pm plan, all cheaper plans are restricted to 60 Mbps. Not that most people need this but I think it indicates an attitude which I find very unattractive. 

I have been trialling Orange PAYG because of a few black spots I encounter with 3, but 3 lets everybody use wifi calling which solves my problem, whereas on Orange PAYG you do not have recourse to this and for my usage the indoor coverage improvement on Orange is not significant so I'm not keeping it going beyond my remaining credit.

Regards, Wildie

by Snipe717 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

You are quite right @Wildie, whilst EE is proudly blowing it's high speeds trumpet, it neglects to mention that this forms yet another divide in its customer base.

There is a real class system going on at EE, I do not feel this with Three. But by playing the game this way, the online reception of Three has gone from negative, a few years back, to extremely positive. Their open, customer centric approach, has paid off.

EE has a marginal geographic advantage, outdoors, but this gap is closing fast. Soon EE will begin losing its customers, once they become aware that other networks will serve them better and that their signal will reach indoors, too. 

They need a shake up at the top, in my opinion. 

Hopefully you will benefit from Three's rapidly expanding 800mhz rollout, soon.

Established Contributor

It's not really surprising is it? When Orange was started by Hutchison it had the same customer focus and enterprise that it has brought to 3. The future's bright lol.

Established Contributor

"Hopefully you will benefit from Three's rapidly expanding 800mhz rollout, soon."

Actually no, it has not made any difference to my notspots even where Cellmapper.net has detected rollout and having now got sick of 3's promises to improve indoor coverage over the four years I have been with them, I have moved my main number back to Vodafone. 

I hate doing this because I don't condone tax dodging by big corporates. However when in holiday touring Scotland my partner could navigate on Vodafone when I couldn't do anything with EE or 3 over large tracts of countryside so I choose to desert my principles for practicality.

Not only does Vodafone give more solid indoor and outdoor coverage where I want it, but in Manchester many masts give CA over three wavebands as more of their UMTS transmitters are updated to LTE-A. Download speeds on Voda are now close to EE round town and current SIMO deals are not bad - 16 GB for £19 pm over a year.

It saddens me that EE's PAYG offering is inferior in spectrum availablity because I find the call centre and community support exemplary, so I take this opportunity to thank all the people on here who have educated and assisted me during this trial.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.