by nginmu Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PAYG IPv6 Internet APN Settings

If I wanted to try seeing if my PAYG EE 4G SIM was enabled for IPv6, what APN settings should I try?

I've tried merely editing the existing preconfigured APN by changing 'APN Protocol' from 'IPv4' to 'IPv6' and 'IPv4/IPv6'.

Doing this, 'IPv4/IPv6' gives me slower than usual IPv4 but no IPv6 connectivity; 'IPv6' gives no connectivity at all.

Are there other APN settings I need to try, or does what I've done above show there simply isn't any IPv6 connectivity enabled for my SIM?

Thanks for any info

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: PAYG IPv6 Internet APN Settings

You could get a 30-day Pay Monthly SIM-Only but can't be sure it'll be on IPV6.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
11 REPLIES 11
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @nginmu IPv6 is not available for EE PAYG yet I am sorry only some new EE pay monthly accounts are IPv6 enabled depending on what plan or device you choose. 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I don't think EE do IPv6 for PAYG yet.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

OK thanks folks. I bought a bunch of 99p PAYG SIMs from different providers to test out general signal strength in my area and EE won hands down in that test.

Only problem is, IPv6 seems attractive to me since one thing I hope to do, is access an IP camera on my LAN remotely over the public Internet. I'm led to believe IPv6 might be capable of enabling this?

Aside from any possible TOS issues, EE's current IPv4 seems to prevent this because of CGNAT (not that EE are alone in this by any means, the bulk of ISP's seem to be using CGNAT now?) It used to be that one could set up port forwarding even if you were on a dynamic IP, and that would let you connect.

CGNAT seems to be some kind of extremely clever way of splitting single IP's across a whole bunch of simultaneous end users, but it also seems to be making incoming connectivity / port forwarding a thing of the IPv4 past.

I was hoping maybe I could test out IPv6 to try and reach into my LAN from outside & view the IP camera. Are there any short term contracts I could use as a test?

Tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree.. unfortunately http://shop.ee.co.uk/price-plans/data-plans seems to be down at the moment 😞

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

You could get a 30-day Pay Monthly SIM-Only but can't be sure it'll be on IPV6.

Valued Contributor

EE 4G Multi SIM

• Up to 60Mbps
  • 16 GB data
  • 30 days plan
  • £23
    That's the one I guess I need. Thanks for the link. I'll give it a whirl (the rate at which my 7 year old is watching youtube minecraft videos, it'll be cheaper than the PAYG anyway so nothing to lose by trying!)
by Grand Master
Grand Master

You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance. Good luck.

Please report back if IPv6 allows the IP camera to be viewed over mobile network .

Valued Contributor

bookmarked this thread to remind me. cheers 🙂

by Profile closed
Not applicable

It's also down to what device you use as the current version of IPv6 that EE mobile use also isn't compatible with any iOS devices.

Valued Contributor

My test device at the moment is an Aldi Medion E5005 phone https://aldi.medion.com/md99915/uk/?refPage=medion

It does seem to have IPv6 in it's selectable APN settings

I was wondering about the wifi hotspot units you can get from EE to go with a SIM.. does anyone happen to know if they use internally, or support in any way, MIMO / cross polarised multi antenna tech?

I have a lovely Huawei B593s-22 mobile 4G router with 2 external SMA connectors for MIMO but unfortunately it's a bit old hat now and I'm pretty sure it doesn't support IPv6 

by
EE Employee

Hi @nginmu

I would recommend getting in touch with Huawei as I have read in a few places that it is ipv-6 compatible but do speak to them to double check.

Let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the link, will do.

I guess I'm wandering far off topic now but this guy's pretty good for info on that particular B593 router too. I did ask him if he knew whether IPv6 could be added if not present, via custom firmware etc. Waiting to see if he comes back (sometimes takes a while) https://blog.hqcodeshop.fi/categories/7-Huawei-B593

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.