iPhone X
    Order now
x
by EE Community Manager
EE Community Manager

Our 4G coverage ambition: Get the latest on our network rollout

We’re working hard to bring you 4G in more places than any other UK network. We’ve made some huge steps forward in the last couple of years, but we’re not done yet.

Our 4G coverage ambition

Our 4G network now covers 75% of the UK, so you can get online in more places than any other UK network. It’s all down to our fabulous engineers, who’ve been working tirelessly as part of our ambition of bringing 4G to 95% of the UK landmass by 2020.

It’s a big goal, but last year alone we increased our coverage by 25%. And if we achieve our ambition to cover 90% of the UK landmass by the end of 2017, we’ll be right on track.

Read about our 4G network ambition >

We’re upgrading more than 100 sites to 4G every week, so keep an eye on our Coverage Checker to show how coverage is improving in your area.

Get the latest 4G rollout news

Find out how far our 4G network has come, and get the latest updates on new developments, on our Network Hub.

Visit our Network Hub for stats, stories and the latest news >

We’re working to achieve our 4G coverage ambition so we can keep you connected. If you’ve got any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch!

13 REPLIES
by Snipe717 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Re: Our 4G coverage ambition: Get the latest on our network rollout

Apologies if I sound rude, but this message is slightly misleading. 

The figures quoted assume a best case scenario, by that I mean that the customer needs to be running EE firmware on their android device or to be using an iPhone. That excludes a good number of subscribers for starters, although this is an Android restriction at present, but then we immediately knock off the immense number of PAYG customers, who have yet again been neglected and cannot access any of the long reach, indoor spectrum. Whatever the reasons or complexities involved, EE have had almost a year to tackle these problems. But I guess this is a low priority issue, whilst trying to stretch 4G signal out into the wilderness. 

When putting this into perspective, the quoted geographical coverage is actually only appropriate to a select number of EE customers. The coverage map is also very misleading, for PAYG customers in particular, who've been continually querying why they cannot get the signal promised by the online coverage checker.

EE needs to climb down off its marketing high horse, put down it's trumpet and get these issues fixed. 

by Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@Snipe717 The coverage checker doesn't show any 800mhz signal yet so the coverage checker is 'right' (I find it very optimistic)

by Snipe717 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Read more

That's very strange because it's showing for me, I've seen a considerable increase in coverage shown on the map, following the rollout of the low frequency spectrum.

It's not immediately obvious, it's just filled in a lot of weaker areas of what was originally showing as outdoor coverage only, now shown as indoor, too.

I took snapshots before and after to compare, it's subtle but significant. 

I agree that it is beyond optimistic, for instance, Barrowden in Rutland shows reasonable coverage across all technologies, however, not one area of that village, outdoors, no matter the handset used, has even 2G coverage, not a jot. No service in the surrounding area either, until you reach the main road. Very optimistic indeed. 

As a PAYG customer, I would just like to be able to use my phone as indicated by the coverage map. Let us hope that one day EE get around to resolving this.

by Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

EE haven't enabled the 800 layer so it's impossible to see it yet: there's even different text to show 800mhz written in the source code but it doesn't work work yet

by tdg Established Contributor
Established Contributor

You have actually removed 4g availability from your Ilfracombe transmitter and 3g only lasts a few hours after the engineers have been.  My place records over 10 engineer visits in the last two months.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @tdg,

I've had a quick look at your area and there are still some upgrade works going on.

This is the most likely reason for the temporary loss of 4G signal.

Once these upgrades are completed you should see an improvement in your service.

I'm very sorry for any inconvenience caused in the meantime.

Thanks

James

Established Contributor

Trouble is you get to a point where it will not become cost effective to maintain an EE presence as people migrate to other providers due to the inconsistent service.  You would be better off telling us subscribers that it is not worth carrying on and let us migrate at no penalty.

by

Hi @tdg,

I can only apologise for the interruption to your service, it's not always possible to avoid when upgrading and maintaining the network.

Thanks

James

Established Contributor

There have been 15 instances of planned maintenance on this particular transmitter since May followed up by problems a couple of days later.  My guess is that the engineers are having to try and patch up legacy equipment and EE don't think it is worth modernising the site.  What does the term upgrade mean in this instance?

by

Hi @tdg,

Our engineers are working to increase the network capacity in the area.

I'll continue to monitor the progress and let you know if I have any updates.

Thanks

James

Established Contributor

In the meantime I have a useless mobile wi fi sim in contract to May 19 and iphone 6s plus which has to rely on wifi calling and my EE fibre broadband which is also gradually deteriorating.  Makes you wonder if BT are trying to run the EE brand down.

by mumpo15
Explorer

EE has supposed to be upgrading the masts as well as installing new masts in the Shetland Isles but as of yet EE mobile is still totally usless in the Shetlands unless you are planning to use the 800 frquency which is the only way that there will ever be good mobile coverage in the Shetland Isles due to the landscape

by

Hi @mumpo15

Welcome to the EE Community. Smiley Happy

As part of our plan to bring 4G to more places, we've switched on our low-frequency 800MHz spectrum on 1000 sites across the country. We're continuing to roll this out too.

Check out our ambition for between 2017 and 2020. You can also read all about our coverage ambition on the EE website. 

Chris

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.