by JH69 Contributor
Contributor

Office UC VoIP calling app drops voice audio on EE 4G, works on other networks!

My Office UC VoIP calling app drops voice audio on EE 4G but the call connects, I have tested on other networks and it works on all other networks except BT (the HV Select VoIP system is BT's platform and the Office UC app allows you to connect your mobile to your desk phone). Is SIP ALG enabled on EE 4G masts as this would cause this type of issue?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by JH69 Contributor
Contributor
Solution

Re: Office UC VoIP calling app drops voice audio on EE 4G, works on other networ

The EE content Lock that is enabled by default on EE Business account was causing the issue of lost dropped voice data packets after call initialises. I have tested with the content lock off and it works fine.

17 REPLIES 17
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Office UC VoIP calling app drops voice audio on EE 4G, works on other networ

Hi @JH69.

Welcome to the community.

This is certainly a technical one.

Have you reported this to our technical support team?

Jon ​​​​​​​

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Have you checked whether the VoIP service needs ports opened & have you port forwarded them? Suggest you search forums for VoIP & ports. I seem to remember something called "SIP".

E.g. for a different router but same principles: EE bright box 2 router settings for incoming VOIP audio, ports and triggers?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

I use Skype for Business over EE to make and receive calls which would be SIP based and works ok.

Do other EE users at work have the same issue? The support people for your server and network should be able to help troubleshoot if the call is getting set up on on their system and if there's any issues with it. Have you talked to them?

@XRaySpeX There wouldn't be a home router here as it's using the EE network.

by JH69 Contributor
Contributor

All of our staff  using company mobiles on EE have the exact same issue, I thought it might be a local issue but I’ve tested when travelling and the fault is the same. A few seconds of audio then silence but the call stays connected. It has to be something on The EE 4G network causing the  voice packets to drop as it works perfectly when on wi-fi.  

by JH69 Contributor
Contributor

Not yet, just trying to find out if the mast has a router that is blocking sip/ voip or has sip Alg enabled on the EE 4G network is causing it to fail before making contact. 

by JH69 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply but I am connecting via the 4G network via the nearest mobile mast so no router to touch, it works fine on Wi-Fi. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

You haven't got content lock on have you? It shouldn't make a difference but any packet inspection could potentially cause a problem I guess.

If you're on 4G can you set your phone to 3G and see if that makes a difference?

by JH69 Contributor
Contributor

I’m not sure if content lock is enabled but will check tomorrow. Thanks

by

Hi @JH69

Let us know how you get on.

Leanne 🙂

by JH69 Contributor
Contributor

Content lock is enabled to moderate by default on business account I belive:

''if you're a business user, you may not have the permissions required to change the settings and will need to contact your account manager''

I will get this set to 'off' and retest and post an update when done.

Switching to 3G didn't fix the issue.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I use Horizon UC app on my EE iPhone 8 with no issues.

Do you have any form of MDM that could be blocking it?

ewan

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

As it's a business account, affecting all the EE users in your company, it would probably be good for the people that support the voice system to raise it with EE and the vendor, as they may have seen it before with other EE users and have a fix.

by JH69 Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ewan,

No we don not have any MDM in place other than EE content filter set to moderate. We use Office365 which has the default policy to allow access.

Thanks

by

Hi @JH69

Have you spoken to our customer service team?

They will be able to get this looked into for you.

Leanne.

by JH69 Contributor
Contributor
Solution

The EE content Lock that is enabled by default on EE Business account was causing the issue of lost dropped voice data packets after call initialises. I have tested with the content lock off and it works fine.

by

Hi there @JH69

Thanks for coming back to us and letting us know.

Glad this is now working for you.

Leanne.

by ianpugh Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I went through months of the same problem. After various poor attempts to deflect the issue by technical support (IPV6, bad software, broken sim, trying on Android phones, blaming the VOIP provider) I finally got an admission it just does not work.

I think it was when I told them the same phone with the same sim with same software worked when I roamed abroad made them realise they had no argument left.

I was then told it was tough luck as they didn't promise to support VOIP explicitly. I said that on a business account, VOIP should be a given and that their agrument was akin to saying that if YouTube didn't work on ee's network it wasn't their problem either. 

Anyway, I got a 50% discount on buying myself out of the contract. O2 and Three work perfectly on VOIP so if it's an issue I suggest you vote with your feet.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.