by gabibbo Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Note 8 dual sim and volte

I bought a dual sim version from Samsung UK and is unbelievable that I can't use volte calls with my ee sim only contract on a phone not bought from you... Maybe I have to go to a lawyer? 

80 REPLIES 80
Valued Contributor

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note8 Dual sim?

I bought a dual sim version from Samsung UK and is unbelievable that I can't use volte calls with my ee sim only contract on a phone not bought from you... Maybe I have to go to a lawyer? 

Valued Contributor

Note 8 dual sim and volte

I bought a dual sim version from Samsung UK and is unbelievable that I can't use volte calls with my ee sim only contract on a phone not bought from you...... Maybe I have to go to a lawyer? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Note 8 dual sim and volte

@gabibbo  seeing as the sim is allowing this and you say your device is not getting this service that’s not EE’s issue as the device is not from EE and the device is the issue.  

Good luck with a lawyer.  

by liam413 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Why would I need a lawyer?

I'm completely aware that the dual sim BTU firmware won't support certain EE services... This is why providers have their own firmwares.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@liam413  I’m not talking to you,  please read what I put, and you joined the thread after a replied to @gabibbo so why would I be talking to you before you even posted on this thread.    

Valued Contributor

It is a cheating on people to force them to buy phones from EE.

I give my money for pay monthly contract to EE and I have same rights as others to use a service that they offer. There is no reason to force you to buy a phone from EE. 

If you like to be cheated I'm happy for you. 

Valued Contributor

It is cheating people because they force them to buy phones from EE.it's not allowed in other European v countries, but but you are not aware of this

I give my money for pay monthly contract to EE and I have same rights as others to use a service that they offer. There is no reason to force you to buy a phone from EE. 

If you like to be cheated I'm happy for you. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@gabibbo

EE advertise well that you need to purchase from them to receive certain benefits. It's the same with every network.

The courts won't even touch this so a good lawyer will just tell you not to waste your time.

There is no EE firmware for the dual SIM version of the note 8 as EE doesn't sell this variant. So you won' be able to get VoLTE at all with this phone.

EE is not cheating nobody. Why should they allow anyone to use their services when they don' purchase from them.

It' like me going to Tesco and buying Pepsi and then going to Sainsbury's expecting them to give me nector points for said purchase.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@gabibbo   If you had purchased a s7/8 not from EE you’ll get volte.  If you had purchased a iPhone not from EE you’ll get volte.   It’s the device you purchased that’s the issue.   You purchased a device that doesn’t work with volte on EE.    Your sim that is from EE is giving you this service so EE is giving you the service that you agreed too.  

Established Contributor

Apologies it was supposed to be aimed in general I.E anyone... Apologies if I made it come across as a direct reply....

VoLTE profile settings should be assigned via Delta updates via the provider rather than via Firmware.

Established Contributor

My argument to this is ... I think it's more about flexability and choice for the consumer rather than "Forcing" a consumer to use certain services from a said provider.

Here's a example ;

Apple Pay and Android Pay offer multiple banks for you to assign cards to they don't just limit it to "Android Cards" or "Apple Cards" or a certain specific bank they give a choice.

A example of non-choice is ;

Some networks lock devices to certain providers and don't give you a flexability to place a different networks (not inc MVNO's) sim card within phone, whilst I appreciate you can pay a sum to get this unlocked you shouldn't have to pay to unlock your own device... It gives you the impression you don't actually own the device. (As you can't do what you want with "Your" device you're limited to which sims you can place in)

As I stated above I think VoLTE settings should be done via provider delta updates which can be requested from a said IMEI/ICCID to obtain.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@liam413   To start with can the device in question work with EE bandwidth for VoLTE.    And just because a device can be purchased elsewhere it doesn’t mean it will work with the network of choice.    Doing research on the device and finding out if it will work is always best before making any purchase.     EE don’t sell any dual SIM card devices so why would EE support such a device,  or better still why should they.  

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Chris_B wrote:

@gabibbo   If you had purchased a s7/8 not from EE you’ll get volte.  If you had purchased a iPhone not from EE you’ll get volte.   It’s the device you purchased that’s the issue.   You purchased a device that doesn’t work with volte on EE.    Your sim that is from EE is giving you this service so EE is giving you the service that you agreed too.  

@Chris_B An S8 not purchased from EE won't have VoLTE only VoWifi. 

It's only iPhone that would have VoLTE regardless of where purchased

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@liam413 wrote:

My argument to this is ... I think it's more about flexability and choice for the consumer rather than "Forcing" a consumer to use certain services from a said provider.

Here's a example ;

Apple Pay and Android Pay offer multiple banks for you to assign cards to they don't just limit it to "Android Cards" or "Apple Cards" or a certain specific bank they give a choice.

A example of non-choice is ;

Some networks lock devices to certain providers and don't give you a flexability to place a different networks (not inc MVNO's) sim card within phone, whilst I appreciate you can pay a sum to get this unlocked you shouldn't have to pay to unlock your own device... It gives you the impression you don't actually own the device. (As you can't do what you want with "Your" device you're limited to which sims you can place in)

As I stated above I think VoLTE settings should be done via provider delta updates which can be requested from a said IMEI/ICCID to obtain.

Your Apple/Android pay theory doesn't work.

I had Barclays bank who support Apple Pay but refuses to support Android or Samsung Pay so I switched banks.

Your unlock theory doesn't work either as With EE you don't own the device until 6 months has passed if you buy on contract.

You also are able to get the device unlocked FREE or charge once your minimum term is over.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@BrendonH  Oh,  I didn’t know that as I thought they got both.  Thanks for the info. 

Established Contributor

@Chris_B The device in question is able to connect to VoLTE in gernal on the EE network this means there's settings which can be obtained to make the device connect to EE's VoLTE network they just make a choice to not provide these devices to use certain aspects of their network.

EE and other networks i'm not singling out EE here makes a choice which devices they allow on their network and to which services certain devices use which I respect however I see it as been a type of what I would consider as a "Monopoly" so to say...

As mentioned the varients of the UK model of the Note8 all have the ability to connect to the VoLTE network of EE I think giving a consumer the flexability and choice is a much better approach that's just my opinion.

A example of this is ;

Some people may want a dual sim varient of the note8 because they would like to use two sim cards within the device and want VoLTE instead because a provider doesn't support dual sim and VoLTE they have to purchase 2 different Note8's when it could easily be solved via the providers decisions.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Chris_B wrote:

@BrendonH  Oh,  I didn’t know that as I thought they got both.  Thanks for the info. 

No problem @Chris_B

It is a bit of a downer that Aple gets it regardless but Android don't but this is down to EE (really) Apple doens't let networks alter their firmware etc where Android does.

If google went down the Apple direction it would be the same as Apple but Android i an open source platform which allows this.

Established Contributor

@BrendonH This is a issue with Barclays Bank PLC rather than Apple/Android Pay Barclaycard have made that decision they don't want to support android pay I would assume it's because of their app supports contactless payments, I would consider this more of a issue of Barclays Bank PLC rather than Apple/Android Pay.

It was a example used to give you a understanding of what I mean... The EE website clearly states that you don't own the device until after 6 months and you can't unlock the device without free until the end of your contract... So you own the device but your limited on the functionality of the device unless you pay a cash sum that works?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

It's not an monopoly.

Definition of monopoly is having a massive share of said market.

Like Three was refused by the competition regulator in their purchase of O2 as it would only leave 3 major networks and not having much choice.

What EE is doing is JUST a business decision. Companies want the consumers to go to them so they offer certain benefits to bring the consumer to them. End of the day Samsung doens't mind where you purchase from they get their money regardless.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.