by Luisornelas Established Contributor
Established Contributor

No EE data on Gatwick airport.

Hi there. I currently work on Gatwick airport ,been trying to use my data there, but can't. I have signal but the internet doesn't work. Does anyone knows why is this happening? 

33 REPLIES 33
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: No EE data on Gatwick airport.

@Luisornelas  Has it ever worked there?  Do you have 4G showing on the device? Is cellular data enabled have you allowed the apps to use cellular data ?  

Established Contributor

Yes I have everything set up. And I had already used my data on the airport. So don't know why is this happening .

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Luisornelas  Have you tried just restarting the device? 

Established Contributor

It's the same .Because since Monday I've been trying to use it. But it's comes and goes. I have signal but no internet. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Luisornelas  Do you have data left from your allowance 

Established Contributor

Yes.  I still have 3.5 gb, so it's enough. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Luisornelas,

Welcome back to the EE Community.

Does the network status checker show any problems in the area?

Thanks

James

Established Contributor

No. There is no problem on Gatwick Airport area. 

by

Thanks for checking @Luisornelas

Does your data work as normal in other areas?

James

Established Contributor

No. On  other areas I don't have issues. It's only on Gatwick airport. And I have friends working there,  and they don't have any problems .

by

Hi @Luisornelas,

Please get in touch with customer services so our technical team can take a detailed look at this for you.

They'll be happy to help. Smiley Happy

James

Established Contributor

OK. Thank u 

by

No problem @Luisornelas

Please let us know how you get on.

James

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hello,

As far as I know, this is a known issue, not just with EE but with most providers at one time or another, whether they like to admit it or not.
It's basically the fact that there's a very large amount of people all using their phones more than they normally would, in the same small area at the same time, so the few masts that serve that area can't cope with the user load.

Signal may show full as you'll be near a mast/repeater, but the masts there will only have limited capacity/bandwidth (as do all masts) and when that gets full devices have to wait for their turn (simplistic description but hopefully gets the point across) to transmit/receive data.

I get that a lot in Gatwick, I travel frequently and I experience the same issue pretty much on every single trip. 

Like I said it's not an EE-specific issue, my fiancee is on Three and she gets it too, it all depends on how many subscribers are there and trying to use the network all at the same time, and at an airport that will be a LOT.

by guesty1234 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I flew back to Gatwick yesterday and can confirm unfortunately EE's 4G is just incredibly congested.

For some reason EE only have one carrier of 4G deployed there despite it being a busy international airport meaning that while you may have great signal strength, there is little to no data throughput. Even when I got to the long stay car park I couldn't load google maps and had to rely on my friend's phone which is on Vodafone until we got away from the terminal.

If you travel there a lot i'm afraid your best option may be to switch to Vodafone who seem to be pretty good at Gatwick or just wait it out until (hopefully) EE do some mast upgrades.

by guesty1234 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

833E9B93-386B-4BAC-AC71-9BD5170FB99B.png

Back at Gatwick today so decided to do a speed test.....

I seriously hope this is addressed soon by EE.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I also had a similar problem when I flew to Flordia in November (2017), data was unusable and was no better when I arrived back at the end of December. Smiley Sad

There is clearly a problem which EE needs to address.

by milesharrison87
Explorer

I'm sick and tired of it too, it's been happening for months, these screenshots were taken over the last 3 months although the problem has been there since I moved to EE last December.

I work for an airline based at LGW and EE is a joke. If it isn't rectified within a month, i'll be returning my phone and requesting my contract is terminated without penalty as the service is disgusting considering it's the 'nations fastest mobile data'...

I've contacted support on multiple occasions and they have said it is fine, the last time they seemed to take it a bit more seriously and 'are looking into it'.

They have said that the slowness is due to too many other users, but that is their problem, not mine. It works fine in other far busier airports and perfectly in every other country i visit, it's just useless at gatwick.

IMG_0054.PNGIMG_0086.PNGIMG_0353.PNGIMG_0355.PNGIMG_2183.PNGIMG_0355.PNGIMG_2183.PNGIMG_2186.PNG

by

Good Morning @milesharrison87.

Welcome to the community.

What did our customer service team tell you last time you spoke to them?

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.