by Profile closed
Not applicable

No 4g+ on the status bar

A stupid noob's question - got the EE sim-only (with Go Faster add-on) on Nokia 8 and wherever I go in Glasgow, there's no 4G+ to be seen (if the status bar is anything to go by). Contrary, on Vodafone I get 4g+ on the same handset pretty much everywhere.

Any ideas why?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor
Solution

Re: No 4g+ on the status bar

EE disable the 4G+ icon on most phones. I believe it’s so you don’t think normal 4G is inferior. 

11 REPLIES 11
by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor
Solution

EE disable the 4G+ icon on most phones. I believe it’s so you don’t think normal 4G is inferior. 

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@sully1311

Is this the case with handsets purchased from third party retailers as well? 

by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Depends on how Cartier settings are applied to the phone. 

Hace you tried looking in the hidden hidden phone settings to see if you are carrier aggregating (sorry I don’t know how to get there on Nokia’s) or running a speed test?

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@sully1311 neither do I re hidden settings tbh. SpeedTest, however, does achieve over 100mbps now and then (but I can't remember the top speed I've seen) am I right to assume this won't be possible without CA? 

by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

@Profile closed No that speed is certainly possible without CA on EE although if you got that speed in Glasgow CC I would think it was more likely that you were CA'ing.

by Bazinga Established Contributor
Established Contributor

It's not a stupid question. I think  EE should be more  transparent with regards to 4G+. For example their coverage map used to colour code the locations which were offering 4G+, that's no longer the case. You have to call CS and ask if a area if covered. What a waste of time for the customer and EE staff. easier to check it out on a coverage map. 4G+ is also very limited, even in London there are many areas not covered. 

It can be a little confusing because ewe then have double speed. -again the coverage map as does way with colour coding.

Where it is in operation, it  is brilliant, really great speeds. Thanks to EE for bringing us this speed boost technology.

Lee 

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Bazinga @sully1311 it's really bizarre for EE to hide 4g+ like that. Why don't they then be consistent and do the same with 3G - a 3G sign in the status bar instead of 3G/H+ would surely suffice for a consumer, no? 😕

by Babyfacelad
Explorer

EE you really need to sort this out how are people supposed to know on either a max plan or go faster add on that they are getting those 4G+ quoted speeds, makes it confusing for consumers who have compatible phones to assume there phone isn't capable. Other networks do this you should too.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Babyfacelad  And when your not in a area that has those network speeds will you complain as the device will not show those symbols.    If you look at your EE online account you’ll see what tariff you have, you don’t need a symbol on the device to know what tariff you have. 

by Babyfacelad
Explorer

No I think your missing the point EE do not display the 4G+ even in an area that offer it. I see your point but I think it would be helpful to know that your in an area that does offer 4G+ like lost other networks do. I don't have any complaints with EE as a whole but I had to research and go to my phone manufacturer and deep within toandroid settings to double check that the  phone i wanted to purchase was 4G+ capable, as the 4G+ symbol in status bar didn't appear as it did when I was Three with it was confusing not to know if I was getting these speeds that I pay extra for with my Go Faster add on each month. Wouldn't it be easier if EE just allowed this to the notification bar.

Highlighted
by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

4G+ doesn’t necessarily mean you are getting fast speeds. It’s literally just two frequency bands being carrier aggregated. Your phone could be doing less than 1 Mbps and display 4G+.

The BT coverage checker still shows “20mhz Double Speed” 4G and 4G+ locations if you want to see areas with 4G+.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.