by N74 Investigator
Investigator

No 4G until reboot

So, this problem has been around ever since Orange merged with T-Mobile to make EE but it only seems to affect some users (including me) but I can't find a solution in any post.

The issue: You have "4G" and you move areas (and clearly which antenna your phone is connecting to) via walking, train, car etc. Then sometimes (not always), you only have "E" (EDGE) in this particular area. It will stay at this slow data rate, if you stay in this area, for ages unless you reboot the device. As soon as you reboot you have 4G and everything is rosey... Infuriating!

Why does it do this? It used to do this when you left an Orange zone and entered a T-Mobile zone, when the companies first merged, maybe it's still related?

I've tried various devices with my SIM, I've t various SIMs with my device and this still occurs. I've recently got a new SIM having been told this will definerdef cute the issue... It didn't.

Ifyou search the internet is not an uncommon issue, with people having tried everything to resolve it.

I've spoken to technical teams, who are never clever enough to understand the actual issue, let alone find a solution other than "to reboot my phone every time it happens"... Argh! 😁

This definitely doesn't come down to an individual device, or individualiSIM card, I guarantee you.

Maybe others on here have had this issue and found a fix?

Any help would be amazing!

13 REPLIES 13
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: No 4G until reboot

Good Afternoon @N74

Thank you for visiting the EE community. 

Are you currently on Orange or EE?

Have you tried your sim in another device? If yes, does the issue still occur?

Thanks, Katie πŸ™‚

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You don't get 4G on Orange numbers.

What network does texting NUMBER to 150 say you are on?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by N74 Investigator
Investigator

Sorry if this confused you... I'm not with orange or T-Mobile, I used to be. They merged together years ago to form EE. I was stating that this is an issue that started to occurs all those years ago.

I was with EE and had that issue, I'm now with plus.net who piggy back onto the EE network and I still get that problem.

As I said in the initial post, it's not down to a certain SIM in a certain phone. I've tried that many times over the years.

And it only happens with EE.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@N74  That issue was because of swapping networks when moving to different areas when using Orange or T-Mobile.   EE is now one network so you don’t swap networks anymore.  But because your with a different network provider that is only using EE 4g network to give you a signal you need to take this up with them.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, I am aware of the companies' merger, but that didn't mean that Orange & T-M nos didn't continue separately from EE nos to this day.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by N74 Investigator
Investigator

Good point. 

No idea, just know that this issue happens to a lot of people today who are on EE, or piggy back companies such as Plus.net.

Lots of people with the same issue, no one with an actual solution πŸ˜•πŸ˜­

by

Hi @N74,

Thanks for joining the EE Community.

That's great advice from @Chris_B. Your network provider's technical support team will be happy to look into this issue for you.

James

by N74 Investigator
Investigator

As I said on my initial post, technical support never try to understand the issue, have tried more than 10 times over about 2 years.

Someone must have an idea? Or I need access to proper tech support, which never happens.

by

Hi @N74,

I'm sorry to hear your technical support team have been unable to help in the past.

As @Chris_B mentioned, EE is one integrated network so it must be something else causing the issue.

As you are not an EE customer, our technical support team would be unable to view the status of your phone or run any diagnostics to see what is happening when you lose service.

I'd recommend getting back in touch with your provider so they can see what else can be done to help.

I hope they are able to find a resolution for you.

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's PN's support you now need to speak to as you're now with them, not EE's.

by N74 Investigator
Investigator

Friends are with EE, same issues.

Tech support are never any help, seriously, please reply if you have any other suggestions.

I'm on here as technical support from both EE & plus.net aren't helping.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Then get the friends to talk to EE CS.

This user discussion forum is not CS & cannot fix issues in EE systems but only provide advice.

by N74 Investigator
Investigator

And maybe someone will read this who has fixed the issue and offer advice.

If you can't then I understand but all the threads to do with this are full of "speak to tech support" and answered by "they don't help".

So hopefully someone else can.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.