by Chris-highlands Contributor
Contributor

New mast for emergency services only?

A new mast was switched on here in the rural Highlands and we suddenly got an EE 4G service (only on the 800mHz band I think). After 2 weeks of a good consistant signal I upped my data allowance, and got a second phone with more data - both pay monthly. Both were working fine for a further week - but stopped on Thursday.

Now under Newtwork Selection on an iPhone6s I can see EE - but it won't connect. This is the same on both phones. I've not changed any software or settings but tried switch off/on etc.

Locally the rumour is the network is only for the emergency services only, and not for normal customers who will only get access in a year or two.  

Are EE really rolling out a network that customers won't be able to use?  Or is the new mast just not working right...  (Mast is too new to show on coverage checker)

Any ideas / comments appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
by
EE Employee

Re: New mast for emergency services only?

Hi and welcome to the community @Chris-highlands

This does sound very strange, have you checked the postcode on our network status checker to see if there is any issues in the area?

Many thanks,

Lee

Contributor

Hi Lee,

The mast is new - so nothing shows up on the postcode checker.

We never had a signal before, and BT broadband is just 512k - so it was great to have 4G for the 3 weeks it worked. Just hope the rumour is unfounded and it is a mast issue and the service returns. (been down since Tuesday, not Thursday..)

by
EE Employee

Hi @Chris-highlands

So just to confirm you've never had any signal either 2G/3G/4G in your area before this incident?

Can I take the postcode of the area please as this indeed does sound strange?

Many thanks,

Lee

Contributor

That's right - apart from on nearby hills from which we could get EE 2G there was nothing at all.  Then from New Year we got a good 3 or 4 bar 4G EE signal - presumably from the new mast which is straight down the loch (Loch Assynt)  from us - so in line of sight (with binoculars)

The mast is at IV27 4HB, and I'm at IV27 4HL.  

I hope it is just off line - rather than in some way just for emergency services - just concerned that the phones can see an EE signal if you manually look for carriers - and both were werking fine until the same moment

Many thanks

by
EE Employee

Hi @Chris-highlands

I have noticed a few issues in a nearby location but nothing in the areas you have provided above.

I would keep an eye on this as it could be linked.

Many thanks,

Lee

Contributor

Well today it has come back on - so maybe related to the other issues you mentioned.

Hopefully rumours of 'Emergency service only' masts are just that..

Thanks.

by
EE Community Support Team

No problem @Chris-highlands

Thanks for the update. Smiley Happy

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.