by pwl2706 Investigator
Investigator

Mobile data usage for NOW TV / Sky Go / BBC iPlayer etc

Hi,

I am moving to a place where there will be no broadband fixed internet or satellite TV (in the centre of London)

So I need to get mobile data to watch NOW TV, Catchup Services (BBC, ITV, All4, UKTVPlay, and SkyGO) etc)

I would normally watch TV around 160-200 hours per month, and want advice on how much data I will need for this...

I have read some scare stories that NOW TV uses 1-2 GB PER HOUR - does that mean I will need something like 300GB or more per month?

If I need that much - can anyone recommend a non-contract plan with mobile router/wifi for 4G?

As my rent will drop by £300 per month, I have no problem paying up to £200 or more for mobile data...

thanks for your help

Philip

11 REPLIES 11
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Mobile data usage for NOW TV / Sky Go / BBC iPlayer etc

Centre of London and no access to broadband??

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by pwl2706 Investigator
Investigator

yes, it's actually a commercial property that I'll be looking after under guardianship...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

How much data am I using on EE? should give you some guidelines.

PAYG Mobile Broadband Devices will show you the devices & plans available.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by pwl2706 Investigator
Investigator

thanks for your help..

looking at that I can see it's closer to 300-500MB per hour, assuming say 150 hours per month, that's 75GB - 100GB MAX per month ... 

I guess I'll have to look at this one which is £100 for the router, and £60 per month:

4GEE Home Router with 100GB for 30 Days costing £40 per month

that could be really good if I can get it without a contract...

hopefully that'll be enough

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What you are looking at is a rolling monthly contract but with just 30 days notice. I pointed you at PAYG devices but now see they are inadequate.

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Profile closed
Not applicable

@pwl2706, is there no phone line you can use for broadband there? Also, is it possible for you to receive and watch some Freeview tv and record some stuff directly on to a Freeview Recorder box? Or would that seem like going back to the 90s to you?

by pwl2706 Investigator
Investigator

I am also tempted by the 

with the 

any opinions or views on that would be very much appreciated

by pwl2706 Investigator
Investigator

hi,

no, no phone line, and FreeView has disappointed me in the past with it's signal strength in central London...unless I am on a direct line of sight from the Crystal Palace antenna ...

I think I might go with SMARTY and the router from Amazon plus a signal booster...

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi and welcome to the community, @pwl2706 🙂

As per the link that you posted, our monthly plans go up to 500GB per month.

If you were to go for a 100GB plan and decide that you need more data, you'd be able to add an extra data add-on or upgrade to the next plan up, if you wanted to.

If you go for the 30 day option, you can give your 30 days notice to cancel at any time.

Chris 

by pwl2706 Investigator
Investigator

what if I fail the credit check?

any way to get that on PAYG without a contract?

by
EE Community Support Team

Those plans are the only ones that we have that would suit your usage, @pwl2706.

If you failed the credit check, unfortunately, we wouldn't be able to set the plan up for you.

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.