by chucky341
Explorer

Mobile data not working

hello i have got a  iphone xs    over the last couple of months i  get no  mobile data  while i am at work  it is only when they is a gig on at the ricoh arena  i work   in post code cv6 6lq

( coventry )  i just want to check  is this happen to ne other ee customers or is it just me   

17 REPLIES 17
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Mobile data not working

@chucky341 . It'll probably be because of network saturation and that fact your indoors that's impeding the signal.

by chucky341
Explorer

ok maybe but  i need my phone for my job so  i need my data they got o be some thing ee can do 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @chucky341 

As per EE Network Status page

WE'RE HAVING A LOOK ATCV6 6LQ

We're investigating a recently reported problem. Click below and we'll update you when there's news.

Also as per @Chris_B  comments it's likely the number of connections at any one time, which will inevitably impact signal quality. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by chucky341
Explorer

well i have spoke to the ee live chat  waiting to get a call from the tech guys 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @chucky341.

Let us know the result of the call from our Tech Care team 🙂

Jon

by sum_ee Investigator
Investigator

Same problem. I was EE happy customer for years and used iPhone 5 / 6 / 6s no problem at all. Recently upgraded to iPhone XR. Problem started. Generally, the reception is low on this phone but when it works it works. Occasionally sees full reception bars.

The real problem started in the office and my kid's school, which is the same location for years and I have no problem with the ee network with other phones.

As soon as I enter the office, the 4g bar goes to 1 bar then the mobile automatically goes to 3G and the mobile data stops working. The same thing happens when i enter my kid's school.

To investigate further I have replaced my EE SIM with other network SIM in iPhone XR. The 4G connection is better and you are surprised to know when the connection goes to 3G everything works as well. So the mobile data works on 3g as well.

Spoken to Apple engineers number of times and they replaced the handset a few times to rule out the hardware issues. EE did investigate but come up with nothing and told me there are no issues, feel free to go with another provider.

After wasting a few months (have done all the troubleshooting steps with apple technical guys and EE technical team - number of times), it looks the combination of EE sim + iPhone XR. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@sum_ee if you put a different network sim in the device did you delete the profile that might of been added on to the device from that network ?  This will stop the EE Sim from using a data connection. 

Youll find this in Settings>General>Profile.   You need to delete and profile in there.  

by sum_ee Investigator
Investigator

@Chris_B you are absolutely right, a profile was created with different network sim which is not the case with the EE sim. I did delete the profile before putting the EE sim again. The profile is empty.

Also, to investigate further Apple engineers did ask for APN settings from EE. But as we all know there are no APN settings for the iPhone Users (locked by the network).

My question, EE is one of the best with coverage, 4g connection and speed. I can not understand why the mobile data fails on 3G at certain locations whereas the others work.

Now if you use the old iphone 6s plus + EE sim (same location) and it goes to 3G, the mobile data works.

by

Hi @sum_ee.

Did you let our Tech Gurus know that you've had the phone replaced a few times?

Did they raise an investigation ticket for this?

Jon

by sum_ee Investigator
Investigator

@Jon_K I have gone through all the possibilities with Apple and EE without any luck. Thinking of moving to another supplier as I can not live with mobile data not working on 3g at certain locations. It is a blame game between Apple and EE, both blaming each other and I am the one who is suffering.

I recently signed 12 months contract with EE (before I switched to iPhone XR) but because of this problem, I have been told that I have been freed from the contact and I am free to go with another provider.

by sum_ee Investigator
Investigator

I have moved to another network with the same phone (iPhone XR). No doubt the speed is slow as compared to EE but at least the data works when it goes to 3G.

If you ask me, the phone is on constantly on 4G with 2 to 3 bars where EE was struggling with 1 bar and regularly switching to 3G with no data.

by teenytina84
Explorer

Hello! I am having this exact same issue at the moment. I'm currently waiting for the "Tech Gurus" to get in touch with me having went through all the stuff on the Live Chat (which, by the way, I'd already done, and told them I had already done. Several times). Does anyone know if this type of issue has been resolved yet? Or why it's happening? I can appreciate that as the issue is mostly (but not only) at my work and there may be a lot of people connecting to the same network, however, this is only a recent problem. When I first got the iPhone XR in June (on a 24 month contract, which I'm worried I won't be able to get out of if I have to move networks), it worked fine. It's only in the last couple of weeks that my phone won't connect to anything that requires an internet connection. I don't even know if 3G is working as, I have a constant 4G logo and 2 bars of signal, so it doesn't even switch between them. I am getting really annoyed that I am paying EE money for a service that is NOT being provided.
by

Hi @teenytina84 

Welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear that you're having some problems with your mobile data.

It sounds like your issue is different to the original post. Unless you're only having problems when there's an event or gig on nearby? From your description, your problem sounds more permanent than that.

Although the Tech Gurus have asked you the same troubleshooting steps that you've already tried, they'll have them documented on the system now. It sounds like they're doing some investigating now and hopefully they'll get back to you with a resolution soon.

Please keep us updated on what happens.

Thank you.

Chris

by teenytina84
Explorer

Hi Chris,

Yes, it’s a permanent thing unfortunately. What I don’t understand is that it’s only started in the last two weeks. It was working fine. Slow, but fine.

The Tech guys called me yesterday and we had some miscommunication (he initially thought my data was slow, not non-existent). I’ve been informed that the area has high-traffic and there are other complaints in about slow connections which can’t be fixed until they put in another tower. Hopefully, that happens soon. It’s not fun paying for a service I’m not getting. Would be as well getting rid of my data altogether as I’m at work 8 hours every day.

However, once we were on the same page (that my connection isn’t slow, Safari actually tells me I’m not connected to the internet), he reset the network connection and said it should be working within 24 hours. Unfortunately, still no data while in work. It does work at home though, which suggests the issue is the ‘high-traffic’ area I’m in. But then why would it be fine until 2 weeks ago?

Not sure what the next step is. By the sounds of the tech guy yesterday, if the high-traffic is the issue, there is literally nothing anyone can do until EE decides to put a new tower up. I’ve been offered 25% discount for a few months to compensate but in all honesty, that’s not good enough for a service I’m paying for but not being provided. Especially when we’re talking about the area being a mile outside of a city centre so it’s not like I’m in a rural area.

by

Thanks for coming back to me, @teenytina84 

I've sent you a private message to get some information from you.

Please take a look and get back to me.

Chris

by Pinkribbonshell
Visitor

Hi is everyone still having problems with their data not working? I can’t get on mine at work as not connected to WiFi that’s why I chose to have more data . Just wondering if others are experiencing the same issue . Thanks in advance. 

by

Hi @Pinkribbonshell 

Welcome to the community. 🙂

Have you checked our Network Status checker? You can check for and report problems on there.

Is your mobile data switched on in your phone settings?

Chris

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.