28-05-2017 10:40 PM
Is this an issue with anyone else?
My mobile data was working fine until yesterday, when I used it all up. This morning I purchased an add-on and it has not worked ever since! I've purchased add-ons before and they work instantly before.
I contacted EE and they said there were issues this morning, which have now been resolved.
I've tried resetting the network. Restarted my phone. Turned off auto network scanning and turned it back on - nothing!
Really need my mobile data working asap.
28-05-2017 10:44 PM
29-05-2017 12:05 PM
30-05-2017 11:55 AM
Not yet. Have been told by an EE rep to do a sim swap to see if it's an issue with the sim or phone.
Just odd because everything was working until my data ran out 😕
05-06-2017 09:28 AM
Well I discovered what the issue was. It was the add-on itself! My 7 day data ran out (still wasn't able to access Internet). I decided to try it again on the off chance and it worked straight away!
I just hope i can het that money back for the add-on because none of it was used 😕
by max1486 yesterday
by Maisie2 Saturday