by Beawesome
Explorer

Mobile data not working after being on airplane mode all holiday

I have been abroad for 3 weeks with my phone on airplane mode the whole time- mobile data was turned off, too, just in case I needed to turn off airplane mode for something (terrified of those roaming charges lol)

Now, however, I am back in the EU, I’ve turned on my mobile data, I’ve checked it is on for all relevant apps, I’ve tried turning the device off and on again, I’ve force reset it, and still it is not registering that my 4g should be on.

It says it is on and that roaming is on in the settings, but there is no symbol at the top of my phone nor do I have any internet access!

Wifi works fine

Its an iPhone 7plus

please help! 

4 REPLIES 4
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Mobile data not working after being on airplane mode all holiday

Hi @Beawesome

Welcome to the community. 🙂

Which country are you in at the moment?

I know you've already tried a few troubleshooting steps, could you try the steps below too please?

Try re-booting your device

Try turning 4G off in ‘settings’

Perform a manual network search and select a different available network:-

Settings > Carrier > Toggle Automatic OFF

Please let me know if any of that works.

Chris

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Beawesome if you are in a non EU country then unless you have a travel data pass or some form of data add-on that auto-renews, you can't be charged for data when abroad. You have to buy an add-on when you try and use data.

So you won't be charged for having your phone on, and being able to receive texts. Just don't answer calls, listen to voicemails or send texts.

I know that doesn't help you now, but it's worth knowing for the future hopefully.

by Beawesome
Explorer

Hi all,

i have tried all all the above troubleshooting options to no avail. However, I have figured out that it was most likely due to an issue with my bank and debit card which meant my payment didn’t go through (as I am now no longer able to text or call either) 

i have had this issue before and it will be solved once payment is confirmed 🙂

thank you for you help anyways xxx

by
EE Community Support Team

No problem @Beawesome.

We can check the payment for you, if you log into your My EE account on your phone's browser (not the app) or a computer.

Once you're logged in, a chat window will pop up when an advisor is available.

If you can't get in contact with chat, please get in touch from an alternative phone.

Hope this is all sorted soon for you 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.