Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Mobile Data Public IP Address

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone could give me any information about how public IP adresses are assigned when connected to mobile data.

Do they change after a set period? Can you force an IP change? or do you maintain the same public IP forever?

Thanks in advance

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Mobile Data Public IP Address

You can be given a changed public IP addy at any time. Not only that but it's not unique to you.

The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

You can be given a changed public IP addy at any time. Not only that but it's not unique to you.

The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the info.

I can see mine has been updated now since I made the post.

The reason for asking is because I've been using my mobile data to hotspot my laptop and a site I've been using had restricted the last IP.

Does this mean everyone on that selected address would also be restricted?

Or is there a way for websites to differentiate between users connecing from the same public address?

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, everyone on that IP will be affected. There is nowt for an external site to distinguish them.

Try rebooting your router, but not too often, to get a new IP.

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Unfortunately I'm with virgin media for my broadband who have notoriously sticky IP's.

Any idea how many people can share the same IP at once?

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry, I was talking about your mobile device which I presumed was a mobile router but could well be a phone.

I'm guessing up to 254 users with the same public IP. You can see your public IP at any of the "What's My IP?" sites but if you look at your phone's Status you will find another, private, IP addy probably of the form 10.x.y.z. This is the private IP EE gives you under its CGNAT to distinguish you from all the others on the same public IP. I'm assuming EE is using a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 with these private IPs. So only the last octet, z, id's you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.