by MarkF17 Investigator
Investigator

Mobile Data Ports

Hello, I wonder if anyone can offer any insight into this issue please, seemingly Level 3 Techs at EE can’t.

I am trying to pass traffic outbound on ports in the range of 20001 to 20007 UDP - my application has worked perfectly for a number of years until recently. If I use another carrier (Vodafone in my tests) then my traffic routes without issue to its end point. My question to EE L3 Tech is simple but nobody seems to understand, “Does EE block or restrict data on port range 20001 > 20007 UDP” if so why please and how might I get this changed. It is clear EE have made a recent network level change. 

Thanks in advance. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by MarkF17 Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Re: Mobile Data Ports

Hello, you are absolutely correct thank you. I researched a little further and apparently there is an issue between EE and iOS 12.1 and the handling of IPV6.

Following this link --https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbpxwqbfp6sff1n/EE%20IPv4.mobileconfig?dl=0 

I installed the APN configuration file and attempted another connection and everything is back to normal, working fine.

So, until EE / Apple resolve the issue that exists this is my workaround for now. Credit to the author of the file (Nayffy) who has unwittingly solved my issue, and thank you to you for pointing me in the right direction by mentioning the IPV4 > IPV6 move at EE.

EE are consulting L2 & L3 techs to try and establish what my problem might be and "will get back to me" - seemingly it would appear they clearly already know!!

Have a good Christmas.

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

What do you mean you are using ports 20001 to 20007 outbound? Are you trying to address an outside host on its ports 20001 to 20007?

EE blocks no ports.

Does this involve any port forwarding?

Could it have something to do with IPv4 vs. IPv6?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by MarkF17 Investigator
Investigator

Hi, thanks for replying to me.

To clarify, there is no port forwarding involved, as port forwarding is only for traffic returning back to me.

The traffic is not reaching the destination server, and the destination server uses ports 20001-20007 UDP (therefore, the traffic is outbound from my device to the remote server). I can ping the server and the DNS name resolves to the correct IPv4 address, but the traffic doesn't pass out to the remote site. This was working fine previously (traffic was flowing from my device to the remote server), but now it is not reaching the desination.

If I switch to another provider (I used Vodafone for comparison, but know other people using Three as well) then I can see the traffic reaches the remote server and everything works fine.

Just to explain the background a little, I am attempting to access a DSTAR voice repeater at the remote end (DSTAR is Digital Smart Technology for Amateur Radio, so if you think about Skype), and have been able to connect to this server in the past without issue. Recently the connections to the remote server cannot be made (the remote connection tracks who is logged in, and my login is not shown so I know that the traffic isn't reaching their server correctly). If I switch to another provider (Vodafone or Three for example) then the connection is established first time without issue.

I've tried other EE phones, and am experiencing the same issue (so ruling out SIM card, handset and my specific EE account), however as I say other carriers appear to be unaffected.

DSTAR itself uses many different technologies on different ports, and they continue to work as expected, however the specific servers that operate on ports 20001-20007 UDP I can no longer access via EE.

If the answer is that EE are now blocking this traffic (I say blocking as it has worked fine before), then I can look to alternative mobile providers.

(If anyone is more curious about DSTAR and amateur radio, there is more information available at: http://www.dstar101.com/whatisdstar.htm)
by Grand Master
Grand Master

I think you may find that the issue stems from a recent switch of the EE mobile network from using IPv4 to IPv6 but I don't understand the details. This would tie in with your experience of it used to work but now it doesn't. 

If you could somehow force the APN of your phone to use IPv4 it might help.

Oh, well explained and clarified. You obviously know your onions. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by MarkF17 Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Hello, you are absolutely correct thank you. I researched a little further and apparently there is an issue between EE and iOS 12.1 and the handling of IPV6.

Following this link --https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbpxwqbfp6sff1n/EE%20IPv4.mobileconfig?dl=0 

I installed the APN configuration file and attempted another connection and everything is back to normal, working fine.

So, until EE / Apple resolve the issue that exists this is my workaround for now. Credit to the author of the file (Nayffy) who has unwittingly solved my issue, and thank you to you for pointing me in the right direction by mentioning the IPV4 > IPV6 move at EE.

EE are consulting L2 & L3 techs to try and establish what my problem might be and "will get back to me" - seemingly it would appear they clearly already know!!

Have a good Christmas.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted. 

I believe I gave you that solution.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, I don't work for EE. I'm just a user like you. I get this from my knowledge & experience.

by MarkF17 Investigator
Investigator

Hi again, I'm unsure if you can offer any further assistance (I welcome it if you can) but I recently upgraded my iPhone to the XR model and interestingly my original problem is back again in that I cannot establish a connection. What is different is that whether I use the IPV4 APN config file previously provided, or not, the connection will not work - I'm now wondering if there is something in iOS 12.2 that is affecting it - up to the point of the upgrade using the IPV4 config file all was working fine. If I switch to a Vodafone data connection all works fine.

Regards,

Mark.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.