by MonsterMonster Investigator
Investigator

Mast location and connection identity

I've just started using my EE 4Gee router and am trying to locate the best location in my house to locate the modem. Wherever I go I get 4G 1bar upstairs. My intention is to swap to a Solwise 4G-54RV router with a roof mounted antenna to get some gain.

Mastdata.com shows that I have an EE mast 18307 2.86Km South-West of me and another 18306 2.66Km South-East of me. These are effectively at opposit ends of my house. How can I tell which mast my modem is connected so that I can permently install an external antenna on the correct side of my house?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor
Solution

Re: Mast location and connection identity

@MonsterMonster The B315 works really well with this antenna - I'd recommend it as per your other post.

Agree on the TP Link front - their 4G router had numerous problems when I tried it. The B593 is highly regarded, but very much end of line and pretty dated now.

I'm not sure if the B593 is more flexible - I used one for a while and don't remember it being more flexible that the B315. The firmware had a few additional options, and better data reporting on the signal received, but nothing significant.

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@MonsterMonster  It would be best to mount it centred,  if one of the masts goes down you'll be connected to the other one.    Also being that far from the masts you'll probably find you'll be connected to one or the other depending on how congested one of them is. 

Investigator

Thanks for that, pretty obvious and simple really. I plan on using an omni-directional antenna so I could place on chimney and it should see both masts I suppose.

On a side note the Solwise 4G-54RV arrived today and I must say it's pants. I was expecting it to be able to pick up a better 4g signal, with its large flappy antennas, compared to the tiny EE 4Gee mobile modem. All it could get was 3G with a maximum download of 9Mbps but typically runs with just under 2Mbps. It never got 4G. Eventually it stopped connecting at all. The little EE modem sat in exactly the same position gets 4G with one bar and provides 35+Mbps without any problems and will sit there all day like that! The Solwise build quality is also a bit iffy.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@MonsterMonster  Not sure but perhaps @XRaySpeX can provide you with better info about what devices would be better to suit your needs.    Hopefully it will pop along soon. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry, @Chris_B, I'm not much into MBB routers other than playing with an Osprey Mini. DSL routers are much more predictable & analysable.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Prodigious Contributor

I'd recommend a Poynting antenna @MonsterMonster.

http://amzn.eu/7bXtCxx works really well for me...

Investigator

@GrahamR, yep I've got one of those still sitting in the box. I just need to find a decent router with external antenna connectors. TP links seem to have suffered SIM connection problems since Nov/Dec so am looking at Huawei newer B315 or the older B593 which sounds robust and more flexible.

Prodigious Contributor
Solution

@MonsterMonster The B315 works really well with this antenna - I'd recommend it as per your other post.

Agree on the TP Link front - their 4G router had numerous problems when I tried it. The B593 is highly regarded, but very much end of line and pretty dated now.

I'm not sure if the B593 is more flexible - I used one for a while and don't remember it being more flexible that the B315. The firmware had a few additional options, and better data reporting on the signal received, but nothing significant.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.