by DanielCoffey Contributor
Contributor

Mast congestion vs time of day?

Have there been any discussions of typical 4G mast usage levels vs time of day for EE?

The reason I ask is that my 4G download speed with EE varies pretty dramatically throughout the day but exhibits a consistent pattern from day to day. It starts off around 30-35 in the very early morning falling to 20-25 mid-morning, 10-15 for the rest of the day until late evening when it climbs back up again to 20-25 at around bedtime.

I'd love to know if that pattern (but not the speeds, of course as there are too many variables) is typical and has been graphed anywhere?

If that level of speed drop in the middle of the day does indicate heavy usage on the specific masts I am attaching to, is there an approved way of flagging them for consideration for an upgrade?

My Omni antenna can see five Band 3/1800MHz cells and six Band 20/800MHz cells, some of which are a bit weak. If I had to take a guess, I think the strongest Band 3 cell is -97.5dBm and the strongest Band 20 is -87.8dBm. I am hoping that the modem manufacturer is going to send me a booster to help latch onto those weaker masts better but I can provide specific cell numbers if needed.

3 REPLIES 3
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Mast congestion vs time of day?

Good Afternoon @DanielCoffey

Welcome back to the community. 

Congestion can happen during busy periods. 

Have you had the chance to report this area to our technical care team?

Katie 🙂

by DanielCoffey Contributor
Contributor

Hello Katie,

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the long time to respond - I got caught up in a Network Service Outage today from 8:00 to 16:00 and have only just got back in.

I have not reported the issue to Technical Care yet as I thought I would ask here what the typical peak times were likely to be first.

I do think it might be a congestion issue as I have just run a sped test now a couple of minutes after service came back up in our area and the network is amazingly fast (35-40Mbps) instead of what I would typically expect at this time of day (10-15Mbps).

I will capture the current list of masts my modem can see and is likely to be attaching to and then go to Technical to flag a possible congestion issue.

Is it going to be an issue for Technical that I am using my own equipment? My EE Huawei B525 is doing a tour of my immediate neighbours because we are all suffering from long rural FTTC lines and I wanted to show them what is possible in this area with a good mobile provider. If Tech really need the EE B525 I can go ask for it back.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @DanielCoffey

Thanks for getting back to me its appreciated. 

I believe you would need the router when calling through to technical, this will help them run a full diagnostics and be able to confirm if this is congestion. 

Please come back and let us know, 

Katie 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.