by AmardeepSingh Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Lack of 4G Network coverage in Moortown, Leeds - 29/06/18

On several occasions throughout this year I have been to Moortown using (in the past) a Samsung S8 phone and (currently) a Samsung S9+ phone.  With both phones, I have experienced a distinct lack of 4G network coverage.  I know that my phone is 4G ready/capable as at my home address, it picks up a good 4G network connection.  So this is not a problem with the phone.  Is there any reason for why 4G wouldn't work in the Moortown area of Leeds?  
Instead of the 4G connection, I get a H+ connection (HSPA=HSDPA/HSUPA).  This connection does work faster when I'm outside, but it is clearly not as fast as 4G and basically seems to result in a poorer network connection.  

Network coverage in the Moortown area has certainly seemed much poorer than such coverage closer to Leeds City Centre (which is what you might expect from the cell tower distribution - if anyone has a handy map of EE cell towers and their range of coverage within the Leeds area).  

I would be interested in any explanations, and hope that whoever in EE views this post will raise the issue/make a log of this report to indicate that this issue occurs, and (for me at least) has been a long lasting issue.    

Many thanks, especially for any comments that provide understanding of what might be causing this issue. 

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Lack of 4G Network coverage in Moortown, Leeds - 29/06/18

Hi @AmardeepSingh

Have you checked your local network here.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by
EE Employee

Hi @AmardeepSingh and welcome to the community.

Did the link @Northerner provided you with help at all?

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

The Network Status Checker is telling me that there are no known problems in that postcode area.  However, I know that I don't get a 4G connection on my phone there, but do at home.  Some knowledge of the positions of the 4G cell towers in Moortown/near Moortown, versus the cell tower locations closer to the city centre might explain what's going on (though I have read that mobile phone towers can have a range of about 22 miles - so one sufficiently sophisticated celltower might be enough large swathes of Leeds). 

Is the Network Status Checker ever inaccurate?  Is there any diagnostic software I could download onto my phone that I could use when I'm in Moortown to find out why there's no 4G connection?

by
EE Employee

Hi @AmardeepSingh

Have you spoken to our technical team to see if there is an undetected issue?

@Peter_C might be able to lend a hand on this one.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @AmardeepSingh

How far do you live from the water tower in Moortown? The reason I ask it that it the location of EE mast/array.

I live in South Leeds and the signal is poor, I have also driven to St James Hospital many times without a 4G signal on my S8+. I drive to Harrogate one or twice a month so I know the signal isn't that great in Leeds generally. At home (9 mins on the train from Leeds) I don't receive any EE signal and rely on VOWIFI.

The issue is likely that we are up north and not within the M25.

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I can see that the outdoor coverage does vary around Moortown, especially around the King Lane/Scott Hall roundabout. Ideally could probably do with an infill site there. The road does currently have three servers it seems but none are particularly strong. Unfortunately, building masts can be a real challenge in the UK so the main thing that EE can do is build out some more 800MHz to the area.

Established Contributor

There's meant to be a water tower at Long(N)/Lat(E) Co-ordinates : (53.850264, -1.536667) near "Fir Tree Lane".  I assume that's the one you're talking about.  The distance from this place to the house in question is less than a mile (1.6km).  This begs the question of what the range of 4G mobile cell towers is meant to be (assuming that the problem is not somehow with my phone) as a mast that is less than a mile away really should be able to make a 4G connection.  I'll repeat that, at times, I do get some form of H+ connection, but this connection can be painfully slow.  It is possible that there have been occasions where I've received no data connection at all (though phonecalls usually work).    

I've done some reading around concerning 5G and am a little confused about whether 5G has a better range than 4G (given the frequency that 5G uses).  There's a good argument that strengthening 4G network coverage in areas that aren't so well connected might be a better idea than trying to implement a completely new 5G standard (https://www.cio.com/article/3117705/cellular-networks/5g-could-require-cell-towers-on-every-street-c...
 says that 5G cell towers will be required on every street corner - which seems a little impractical, and possibly expensive, with great potential for multiple chokepoints, etc...).  

I've previously made a post querying likely timelines for the various G standards:
https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Network-status/LIKELY-TIMELINES-CONCERNING-2G-3G-4G-amp-5G-MON260218-1...
And mention this issue because the previous paragraph queries the range of 4G versus 5G from a given cell tower.  It appears to me that 5G will have even worse range problems than 4G (which doesn't seem to work .  If I'm wrong on this point, I'd certainly be grateful for correction.  

Many thanks for the responses so far.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@AmardeepSingh  The landscape between you and the mast can  impede the signal that you receive from that mast.   I work about 1.5 miles from a mast and get zero signal as I work within a dipped area and so the signal doesn’t hit ground level.  

This is what it showed on the EE network checker and I’ve been told by tech 2 that’ll I’ll be lucky to get a signal  because of the terrain.  

F13B9F1B-3785-42E5-874F-D8E31E4135FD.png

The network checker is a guide and not a guarantee of signal.    This is the only area I get no signal and it was like this when I was a Orange customer also.   

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.