by taffyt120 Contributor
Contributor

LG G5 - no calling or texting, data works but only on 2G/3G

Really really strange one... I have an EE LG G5, which I've been using with a 16GB monthly EE SIM. During a trip to Australia, I left my EE SIM at home in the UK in an old Galaxy S3 phone, and used my G5 in Aus with a local SIM card.

Upon returning home, I put my EE SIM back in my G5, and it refuses to pick up the EEnetwork at all, anywhere, although wi-fi calling and texting still work. I've found out that if I set network selection to 2G/3G only and restart the phone, then it does pick up the EE network and my data works. However, if I try and make a call, then it fails immediately. If I set it back to 2G/3G/4G I immediately lose connection to the EE network.

Things I've tried:

• Putting a Vodafone SIM in my G5. Phone works, even when set to 2G/3G/4G, can make calls and data also works on 4G - seems to rule out the phone
  • Gone in to an EE store and replaced my SIM. Exactly the same issues
  • Put my EE SIM in my old LG G2. Phone works, can makes calls etc. even when set to 2G/3G/4G, can make calls and data also works on 4G - seems to rule out the SIM
  • Performed a network reset on the G5. Same issues.
  • Performed two full factory resets on the G5. Same issues.

So, I'm completely stumped. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Is it possible that somehow EE have an issue with my handset on their network? When I set to 2G/3G even going to something like card forwarding settings produces a "Network or SIM card error". 

8 REPLIES 8
by
EE Employee

Re: LG G5 - no calling or texting, data works but only on 2G/3G

Good Afternoon @taffyt120

Welcome back to the Community! Smiley Happy

That is a really strange issue! :smileyconfused:

You've done everything that I could possible think of.

One quick question when doing the factory resets, did you set up as new and not restore from any backups?

The only other thing I could think of but it would be a shot in the dark....is to get the Network Settings refreshed from our side.

Are you a personal customer?

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by taffyt120 Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Karen_C

I did a full factory reset, and didn't restore from any backups.

I've now tested it with a friend's EE SIM and have the same problem. It's almost like the EE network just doesn't like my phone anymore.

Like I mentioned, I've put a Vodafone SIM in, and it works like a dream.

I also used the http://setup-ee.wdsglobal.com/internet to receive an Internet Setup text from EE (received using wi-fi calling), but that made no difference.

Appreciate any help anyone can give me, many thanks.

by
EE Employee

Hi @taffyt120

It sounds like it has locked to any network other than EE.

I would recommend sending the device away for repair, this can be done via Ourselves or LG Direct.

Let us know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by taffyt120 Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Lee_H

Just to confirm that you mean the phone is to work on every other network other than EE? I didn't realise that a phone could be locked against a single provider, and how would that have happened. It's definitely not locked to a single other network, and as I mention, that data does work on EE, as long as there's no 4G in the area, or I set to 2G/3G only (although calls and text still don't work).

by
EE Employee

Hi @taffyt120

There has been some confusion in what I have said.

I was meaning, as if the handset does not like EE but everyone else.

A handset can be locked to a single provider.

Many thanks,

Lee

by taffyt120 Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Lee_H

My mistake, I understand.

I was hoping it was something on the EE network side, having a problem with my IMEI on your systems or something, but I'll use the link and request for my handset to be repaired.

Many thanks.

by
EE Employee

by Jay29 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I have LGk10 and having exact same problems and tried everything too. And like you got new sim. Total nightmare only had phone 2 months what a carry on.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.