by monz87 Investigator
Investigator

Is EE Essentials 4G speed the same as EE Max below 60MB?

Hi guys, I can't seem to find the answer to this.

I know that Essentials plan is capped at 60MB and Max is not. I have friends who very rarely reach close to 60mb with their Max plans around East London. So I want to know, if in one location, a Max customer achieves 40MB for example, will an Essentials customer achieve 40MB as well in the same location?

Up to 60MB is more than enough and if the speeds are identical everywhere between the Max and Essential up to 60MB, then i'm not bothered, other factors like price will be more important. Also roaming doesn't interest me nor does the 24 month BT Sport.

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Is EE Essentials 4G speed the same as EE Max below 60MB?

If a speed doesn't reach the limit the line is capped at then it's the same as if it weren't capped. That's all a cap is.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by monz87 Investigator
Investigator

If it was literally just a cap then that would be true.  But I thought the Max plan has the 4G+ which the Essentials doesn’t? Not sure what that means exactly but could it be that the Max has access to a faster technology or more servers etc that the Essentials can’t access? Hence it could be different speeds even below 60mb.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It'll be just like EE BB Fibre, capped at 40 Meg, & EE BB Fibre Plus, uncapped.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

There is only 1 flavour of 4G = LTE technology unlike 3G. So it's just a cap.

by monz87 Investigator
Investigator

Surely there are different variations of 4G right? Like EE have faster 4G than o2 for example. I thought there was variations between the same network, which is what they make out.

Is double speed ee and 4g+ just marketing terminology for essentially exactly the same thing just with a cap on one and no cap on the other?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @monz87

You'll access the network with an Essential plan, just like you would if you had a Max plan. The only difference is, you'll be capped at 60Mbps, whereas with the Max plan, you'll be able to achieve the networks fastest speeds, as long as this is above 60Mbps. Smiley Happy

When EE first launched 4G in the UK in 2012, the fastest possible speeds you could achieve was 30Mbps, EE then made some network improvements and you could then achieve speeds of up to 60Mbps (this is what EE called "Double Speed 4G"). 4G+ is another terminology for LTE Advanced which allows networks to group spectrum together, which helps improve speeds, coverage and latency. Smiley Happy

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @monz87,

Welcome to the EE Community.

4G+ is the technology that allows your phone (if it's compatible) to receive data from multiple 4G bands at once.

You can find out more in What is 4G?

Hope this helps.

James

by monz87 Investigator
Investigator

So this grouping of spectrums together on the Max plan could potentially mean faster speeds over an essential plan below 60mb right? As the essential doesn't have access to this LTE Advanced which groups spectrums?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Not at all @monz87Smiley Happy

Customers on both an Essential or Max plan with a compatible device will have access to 4G+, but a customer on an Essential plan will only be able to access speeds up to 60Mbps.

So for example, a customer with a Samsung Note 9 and on an Essential plan will notice a 4G+ symbol above their signal bars when they're in an area with 4G+ coverage, but if they run a speed test, they will be capped at 60Mbps. The reason for this is because the device has access to 4G+ and the spectrum bands within the 4G+, but EE have set a speed cap on your plan to prevent you from using speeds above 60Mbps. Smiley Happy

by monz87 Investigator
Investigator

Great, thank you. I am planning to get the iPhone XR which I’m sure supports 4G+. It is nice to know that whatever speed I get ‘up to’ 60mb then Max users would also get the same, unless I’m getting the max 60mb at which point I would assume Max users would get more. Regardless 60mb is more than enough to do anything on a phone.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

You're correct @monz87, the iPhone XR is 4G+ compatible. However, Apple only display 4G on the phone, even if you are in an area with 4G+ coverage. Smiley Happy

by monz87 Investigator
Investigator

Awesome. Thanks for the help everyone.

by monz87 Investigator
Investigator

Right, so I’ve just done a speedtest on my wifes iPhone XR with an Essentials plan and it came out as 77mb download lol. What happened to the 60mb cap?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @monz87

There have been examples of speed tests that have achieved over 60Mbps on Essential plans. Smiley Happy

by monz87 Investigator
Investigator

So much for a cap Smiley LOL

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Or so much for a speedtest Smiley Wink! They ain't that reliable & often differ from each other.

by monz87 Investigator
Investigator

Actually it is quite reliable as on my fibre broadband it caps at the top end and never exceeds what i’m supposed to be getting. The speed on the Essentials came out a lot higher than 60mb, if it was 62mb for example then I would assume it was off slightly but that was not the case.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Can't be on BB. Speedtests will always be less, by about 8%, than the raw connection speed which is what is being capped, cuz of the overheads on top of the data that are being carried. So if your fibre is being capped at 40 Meg, speedtests will show about 37 Meg.

It must be the same with mobile but the raw connection speeds are not readily available unlike fixed BB.

by monz87 Investigator
Investigator

Which is why I get max 72mb on my plusnet fibre which is capped at 76mb I think. But 77mb on a capped 60mb essentials is different.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions